Small Powder Coating System?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Small Powder Coating System?

Post by Bobcat320 »

Do any of you out there have a small powder coating system you would recommend? I am only looking 2 X 2 X 2 ft or so to do small stuff for now.
Any guidance, recommendations or thoughts would be most appreciated!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Small Powder Coating System?

Post by acourtjester »

This is the one I have works well there are cheaper ones out the but this has a variable voltage setting.
Ovens you can make your own just google DIY powder coating ovens
http://www.caswellplating.com/hv-powder ... ystem.html
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I started with the gun from Harbor freight. It wasn't bad at all, but then again i'm no professional. I always got pretty good results.
Recently got the dual voltage gun from eastwood. I'm still new with it, maybe a few hours in total, but I think I liked the HF one better or I'm just not too comfortable with this one yet. I'm having a hard time actually seeing the different voltages do work. (one voltage for larger spots and one voltage for inside or tighter spots)
Eastwood also has a very small oven for $99. Harbor freight had a really nice oven a few years ago before they discontinued it and it was less than $500. Still kick myself for selling that one
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

Thanks to you both!!!
Sincerely appreciate your input!
The support on this forum is amazing :P
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I went to our local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity Thrift store) and purchased a used electric Double wall oven, put a 50a plug on the end and a rolling base... whammo, instant Powdercoat oven. $160 with the plug and wheels. Works like a champ and would seem to fit your needs size-wise.
2015-02-23 18.04.22 (800x450).jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Capstone on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is the one I built using 2 large stove top elements , a PID temperature controller, SSR and 4" fiberglass bats. I have a trolley to hang parts and slide into the oven. I made it so I could stand it on its end for storage.
powder coat oven (7).jpg
powder coat oven (4).jpg
powder coat oven controller (1).jpg
oven trolly (1).JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

More great ideas - thanks!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Capstone wrote:I went to our local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity Thrift store) and purchased a used electric Double wall oven, put a 50a plug on the end and a rolling base... whammo, instant Powdercoat oven. $160 with the plug and wheels. Works like a champ and would seem to fit your needs size-wise.
I did kind of the same thing. Local thrift store and got a george foreman chicken rotisserie for $9. Goes up to 450*, bigger than a toaster oven, has a light and I can choose between 2,3,4 heating elements. Best $9 I ever spent!
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i have the $129 eastwood setup: gun with 2 lbs of powder
and a discarded oven with a few top burners out, it runs on 240 volts 20 amps
it comes with elements, thermostat, door and was free :mrgreen:

my spray booth and oven

big enough to pc 8x15 steel truck rims

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

You all are awesome!
Been looking for an oven... :D
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I use the Eastwood dual voltage gun, and have for many years. It broke down last year at the height of Christmas rush and I went and bought one from Harbor freight...I HATED it. Returned it as soon as my new one from Eastwood came in.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

michmetalman wrote:I use the Eastwood dual voltage gun, and have for many years. It broke down last year at the height of Christmas rush and I went and bought one from Harbor freight...I HATED it. Returned it as soon as my new one from Eastwood came in.
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. what pressure do you use your eastwood gun at? I found to get good results I had to remove the diffuser at the end of the gun completely.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

gamble wrote:
michmetalman wrote:I use the Eastwood dual voltage gun, and have for many years. It broke down last year at the height of Christmas rush and I went and bought one from Harbor freight...I HATED it. Returned it as soon as my new one from Eastwood came in.
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. what pressure do you use your eastwood gun at? I found to get good results I had to remove the diffuser at the end of the gun completely.
I just hated the setup of the HF gun with powder on top. You are right, the diffuser is awful, and I have taken all of mine off. Instead, I cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe about 1-1/2" long or so and glued it to the end of the gun. This way I get more direct coverage, especially since I sell a ton of little things like magnets, ornaments and key chains. It works great on the bigger stuff also,
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

michmetalman wrote:
gamble wrote:
I just hated the setup of the HF gun with powder on top. You are right, the diffuser is awful, and I have taken all of mine off. Instead, I cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe about 1-1/2" long or so and glue it to the end of the gun. This way I get more direct and even coverage, especially since I sell a ton of little things like magnets, ornaments and key chains. It works great on the bigger stuff also,
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Interesting. How far does the pac stick out from the pointed end? How much pressure do you use?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One thing the helps is adding another small hole in the tube that mixes (fluidizes) the power in the storage jar and not filling it up to much. The helps the powder flow. There are videos on youtube on how to mod the guns to make them work better.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

michmetalman wrote:
gamble wrote:
I just hated the setup of the HF gun with powder on top. You are right, the diffuser is awful, and I have taken all of mine off. Instead, I cut a piece of 1" PVC pipe about 1-1/2" long or so and glued it to the end of the gun. This way I get more direct coverage, especially since I sell a ton of little things like magnets, ornaments and key chains. It works great on the bigger stuff also,
Michmetalman - I cant seem to get my head around this... how did you attach the piece of PVC pipe to the gun? you said you glue it, but where? Is it possible to post a picture? I bought the Eastwood Starter Kit and am having terrific results with it, but it may also be that I don't know any better - Ha! I have been running my gun at 8 psi...?
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker

Return to “Powder Coat”