MIL thickness?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

MIL thickness?

Post by RGR »

When you powder coating, what controls the MiI thickness? IS there a way to know without an indicator after baking the part?
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: MIL thickness?

Post by RGR »

No one? Im just wondering, As your applying the powder coat, What controls the powder so it covers the part " uniformly"? I know nothing about powder coat. Do you just get the part covered and when its baked it levels out the coats?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

With power coating the electro static action helps the powder to cover the part. It is not like spray painting where you need directional coverage. That is why some guns have a spreader on the tip. The powder does flow out but you can put too much on and it will run. Watch some videos to see how others apply the powder.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Yes, I understand that portion? I Guess what I am asking is how do you know how much powder is on your part and that it is equally thick across the part? Can you tell by just looking at it as your applying the powder?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I don't have a good answer for that but if you look at the sharp edges to be sure they are covered is one place the amount of powder can be seen.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Cool, Im thinking about getting a cheap gun and play around with the house oven just for fun. Ive got the old oven already. Ill get a cheapo HF gun and give it a run...Cant hurt nothing I suppose...Ill read up some more on here about the process..Thanks for your help guys!!
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

Just to point out since you said "house oven", once you use an oven for powder coating you cannot cook in it again for consumption.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

He did say "Old Oven" as well.
I started out using an old kitchen oven that I used for baking Norell's Moly Resin way back when, I used it for Powder Coating too and it was really limiting on item size and how much stuff I could do at one time. Built a larger oven and it is MUCH better just need to figure out a better way to hang some things. The HF Gun works pretty good I discovered that putting the larger spreader on the tip went a long way toward making a more even coating. Pay close attention to your air pressure as well, "Better" powders tend to need LESS air pressure and meter better than the "Cheaper" powders.
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

there is a mil sensor you can check the thickness when you powder the mil thickness is controlled by your current and the density of the powder you want around 3 mils remember the thinner the more durable it is and a house oven is just going to create problems for you as it does not exhaust the contaminants of the fumes your better off getting a convection oven.

Return to “Powder Coat”