powder coating over powder coating

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

powder coating over powder coating

Post by exceptional »

Is there a way to powder coat the metal and then powder coat a different color over the top of the first coat? Having a little trouble, scuffed it up a little but finding around the edges, it just won't take. Any help is appreciated as usual.
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: powder coating over powder coating

Post by illusivedf »

Try coating the first color, put in oven and let it flow out once it does that pull it and shoot your second color and then fully cure at part metal temp this should help cross link the layers as well. But I'm sure there are others here who have more time coating than me that may have better advise.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Good thought, I'll try it this week. Appreciate your suggestion.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

You need to have a gun that has some pretty good power because the static electricity won't go through the first coat of powder to hold the second coat on.

Best way is what was said above. Get the first coat on, bake it to temp and then shoot the second coat while the piece is still hot. The second coat will "melt" into the piece. Once done, bake at temp as required and then let it all cool.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

A lot has to do with your ground on multiple layers and the gun your using. Are your KV's adjustable? Do you have a external ground rod to attach to your rack or holding bar?

If your just starting out and have the entry level gun then grounding, using new hooks will help, but hot flocking as mentioned will be your easiest fix, but also be careful cause hot flocking will give 100% attraction and easy to get to much powder on a part..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Great information. I am starting out and have a very cheap Eastwood gun that is falling apart but still usable if I'm careful. One day I'll make the upgrade. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

I tried the powder coating over a hot powder coat and worked perfectly. I appreciate everyone's suggestions, you guys are so helpful.

Exceptional
LaD1991
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by LaD1991 »

What would cause this to happen when powder coating over powder? The yellow was done first. Once the part was cooled down, the yellow was taped over and then the blue powder was shot. I know yellow and blue make green, but the yellow was already cured. Any insight would be very helpful! Thanks!!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I am no expert but to me it looks like an out-gassing maybe the yellow was not fully cured I know you said it was.
was the blue area fully taped when you sprayed the yellow could there have been a small amount of yellow over-spray.
something to try is have in horizontal plane when you make the next one.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
LaD1991
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by LaD1991 »

The yellow was coated first, then taped off to coat the blue.
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

what tape do you guys use I have sum high temp tape and when I try that the tape leave a mark
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

We actually cut 400 degree tape with a vinyl cutter and stencil signs and powder fades and stuff with powder the trick is set your machine to multi coat and grind the powder completely down to the metal but we have done 5 colors and a clear here is a picture of my rod holder on the tig machine you can fade it just like paint. if you use high temp tape over powder you have to take it off when it is hot and stick it back in the oven for a few minutes the easiest way to get it off is sharpen a piece of tungsten really sharp and stab it try not to scratch the powder but the little hole will self heal because by the nature of the powder it trys to heal it self and be perfectly flat.

Return to “Powder Coat”