Propane Powder Coat Oven

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
biggator850
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Propane Powder Coat Oven

Post by biggator850 »

Next big project on the list is to build a powder coat oven, but I am not sure of the design. I have seen an oven heated with several fish cooker burners recessed in the floor that worked pretty good. However I can't remember exactly how it was built and can see a real possibility of biding a big bomb if the fire went out and it filled up with gas! I need something long enough for handrail sections. Thinking of about 4'x12'x6' tall.

The floor will be concrete slab with recesses for the burners. The walls and roof will be metal studs with R panels inside and out with fiberglass insulation. The part I'm trying to figure out is how much fresh air to put in for proper combustion and the best way to keep the heat even thru the whole oven. I am thinking recirculating fan of some sort is needed to prevent thermal layering. But what kind of fan can recirc hot air?

Anybody have any experience with gas ovens?

Guess if I can get it built I could just walk a cow in and cook prime rib right on the hoof! :o
Poh
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Propane Powder Coat Oven

Post by Poh »

Haven't built a propane one, but I converted an 6' x8' x 10' Conex into an electric oven, bought 10 oven elements, recessed 3 into each side, one on the back wall, and 3 more on the floor.Steel studded all the way around the inside including floor and ceiling, and then the most dense 4" fiberglass insulation I could get, covered with 16g galvanized sheeting on walls and ceiling, and 3/8" alum plate on the floor..I put a recirculating fan in there as well..The elements are covered with 3/4 x 9 exp metal...It works great, the outside temp is that of the outside, inside temp can get 500+
Poh, Stainless is Forever!!!
Torchmate 5'x10' water table,Torchmate 8 CAD
Hypertherm HSD 130
Plate Marker ,Tube Cutter, and Oxy-Acetylene
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
biggator850
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by biggator850 »

Thanks! What kind of fan can stand up to the heat? I just don't have enough power to run electric elements. My shop panel is maxed out plus the oven is going to be a long run from the panel.

BC
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by fergy »

Can't help you much with how to build but most commercial ovens around here are LPG fired
Poh

Post by Poh »

biggator850 wrote:Thanks! What kind of fan can stand up to the heat? I just don't have enough power to run electric elements. My shop panel is maxed out plus the oven is going to be a long run from the panel.

BC
Well the fan is on the outside actually, with a duct at the top front(in), and rear bottom
(out)...It was an old squirrel cage from a woodstove
Poh, Stainless is Forever!!!
Torchmate 5'x10' water table,Torchmate 8 CAD
Hypertherm HSD 130
Plate Marker ,Tube Cutter, and Oxy-Acetylene
Miller Dynasty 350
Miller 350 p
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Just make sure you don't have too much air flow inside the oven or it could blow the powder off of your piece. Light air should be ok but a good downdraft or a lot of moving air could be an issue.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Powder Coat”