Powder coating holes

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Powder coating holes

Post by exceptional »

I've been pretty successful at powder coating. I am seeing some holes in my coat, like a bubble that has popped then hardened. The coat is still very nice but tiny little black holes. I'm using powder from Eastwood a kitchen oven and the cover on the material is smooth and thick enough. Any ideas on why and thanks.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Powder coating holes

Post by Gamelord »

Chances are that you are getting gas from the metal when it bakes. Make sure your metal is completely clean and oil free - even in the small minute pores of the metal. Usually you need to out-gas the metal before baking. This usually involves putting the piece int he oven and baking it are temperature for a while so that the pores of the metal enlarge (from the heat) and let the oil's that were trapped leak out. Then clean the metal and then coat it. This should eliminate the small holes you are getting.

Another thing to check is the type of powder you are using. Some powder coats are excellent corrosion barrier coatings, and some are not. Powder coats classified as decorative finishes, while smooth and glossy to the naked eye, can be porous on a microscopic scale and therefore not the best corrosion barrier coating. In outdoor applications requiring a decorative finish, excellent corrosion resistance can be achieved by using a two coat primer-top coat finish, or even a three coat primer-top coat-clear coat finish. The ultimate in corrosion barrier coatings are powder coats classified as functional finishes, as they do not have the porosity inherent in decorative finishes. If you are seeing small pinholes then you may be using a decorative finish powder. Easy fix, just shoot a clear coat over the top of it and your good to go.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Great information, I appreciate it. Maybe this will fix it, putting it to work immediately. Thanks
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Just wanted to follow up and let you know I have powder coated about 5 -7 more items and they are fabulous. It was warming up the metal prior to powder coating that fixed it. I can also get a much thicker powder coat on the item because the powder melts as it hits the metal. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Powder Coat”