Powder Coating?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metal Lee
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powder Coating?

Post by Metal Lee »

Hello all, I am looking at starting to powder coat my projects as well as offering this as a service in my area. Any sugestions or advice as to product to buy and oven to use would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks, Metal Lee
Keep the sparks out of your boots!
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Powder Coating?

Post by CPK_Jim »

where are u located? I started a PC biz in june, http://www.custompowderkote.com with this economy its not as easy as it sounds! I am just barely scraping by but I built a cnc plasma table and that is turning out to be a huge help right now. There is alot more to PC than just having an oven!!!!!! If you do start doing it you will soon find that out!! I have learned a ton and am very good at it!! I have been called a PC god on many other forums..... If you check a post I made in the project section on this forum you will see why. As for advice on buying an oven, I can't offer any because, I am handy with all things as stated, I built my cnc plasma table, I also built my own oven. They were both a fraction of the cost of buying one, yet both work as well as one you would buy... just an option you may not have considered.

Jim
Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

[quote="CPK_Jim"]where are u located? I started a PC biz in june, [url]http://www.custompowderkote.com[/url] with this economy its not as easy as it sounds! I am just barely scraping by but I built a cnc plasma table and that is turning out to be a huge help right now. There is alot more to PC than just having an oven!!!!!! If you do start doing it you will soon find that out!! I have learned a ton and am very good at it!! I have been called a PC god on many other forums..... If you check a post I made in the project section on this forum you will see why. As for advice on buying an oven, I can't offer any because, I am handy with all things as stated, I built my cnc plasma table, I also built my own oven. They were both a fraction of the cost of buying one, yet both work as well as one you would buy... just an option you may not have considered.

Jim[/quote]

I am located in Ontario, I have a plasma table already and I am trying to capture some of the coating demands in my area. I will be moving forward with the PC adventure sooner than later and no dought be learning from my mistakes. I am an electrician by trade so building an oven I don't see as being a very large obstacle to overcome. What type of applicator are you using? any sudgestions? Thankyou for your input Jim, greatly apreciated. Happy New Year!
Thanks, Metal Lee
CPK_Jim
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CPK_Jim »

I currently using a hobby gun that I have modified to work way better.... But I do plan to upgrade soon.. Maybe build the whole thing myself or buy one of the one Ive been looking at? I'm still playing around with that idea.. I went to the coatings show in indiana this yr and looked at all of the guns, I think I actually like the wagner with the vibraiting fluidized bed the most, I cant recall the model# right now but I can look for you if your intested.... It was like $5,000 though. Columbia coatings has a pretty nice gun for $899, by for the best for the money! Stay away from cup guns!! They work good in some aplications but they are tricky to use properly.

If your thinking about building an oven, check out the caswel oven builders forum, theres lots of great info there! And if you have a plasma table and you an electrican youve got it made!!!!! I imagine like myself you are also somewhat of an engineer, check out that forum, read, read, read.. And you will know exactly how to build one before you even start.

Any other ? just ask I'll help you out....

Jim
Metal Lee

Post by Metal Lee »

Thanks a million Jim, I checked out the forum you suggested, WOW! Just what i needed, another adventure. :lol: :lol: Talk to ya soon, ML.
Thanks, Metal Lee

Return to “Powder Coat”