Patina on both sides of small parts

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
dwolfe002
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Patina on both sides of small parts

Post by dwolfe002 »

I'm new to everything except painting but ordered a patina starter kit from SteelFX. I tried the copperfx yesterday to see how it looked and after a while got it to turn out ok. The steel I have cut needs a patina on both sides of the part and many of the parts (3d dinosaur) are around 1" in size, not to mention there are about 150 parts total. I was wondering if anyone puts patina on both sides and how you go about doing it. I tried it yesterday just to see what would happen and had to lay the newly patina'd side down to do the other side and ended up with the design of the board I was laying it on in the first patina'd side. Some of the designs looked pretty cool but not what I'm going for. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on putting patina on both sides of a small part, I sure could use some help.

Thanks,
Doug
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Patina on both sides of small parts

Post by tnbndr »

Are you going to weld together after,? as that will ruin any finish. Polish, weld and then patina and clear.
I've not done patina on both sides but I finish the backs of my pieces with black or polished and then clear. I first polish both sides so a lot of grinding doesn't have to be done later. I then finish the back and clear coat. Then I 120 grit the front and apply the patina colors as desired, hose off, force air dry and then clear the front. The clear on the back prevents the patina from staining the back. So you may have to do similar but just patina both sides.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
dwolfe002
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dwolfe002 »

Thanks Dennis. I'm not going to be welding anything. I'm just trying to make a 3D puzzle for my nephew. Seems like all the younger ones love dinosaurs. So, if I understand correctly, I would patina one side, rinse, dry, then clear that side and after it cures do the same to the other side? Sounds like that will work better than any idea I have. Thanks again.

Doug
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

yep
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I have a can of Patina I throw my small parts in for a few seconds to get both sides

Return to “Patina Finishes”