I Need Help. Options for fire pits

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

I Need Help. Options for fire pits

Post by plasmartist »

To start off, I have sold about 30 fire pits so far and every customer has been a fan of developing a natural patina, except one; and he wants to buy quite a few as gifts for his clients so I am trying to learn what options I have. My fire pits are a flat pack design for portability, so it is important that I find something that wont leave ugly scratches when the parts are folded down and bumping around in the back of a car or pickup. I told the customer to wipe or spray some vegetable oil on the parts after fires, much like cast iron pans, but he seems to be less than satisfied with this option. Part of me wants to just kick this customer to the curb, but I also want to overcome this challenge because the rust look wont always be popular and learning something new never hurts.

I am personally a fan of the rust look, so to date I have not experimented with high heat rust prevention. I have purchased some 2000 degree clear coat and I will be experimenting with its results along with another pit that will just spray Pam on.

Thanks
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: I Need Help. Options for fire pits

Post by little blue choo »

No paint will hold up. It doesn't matter what temperature it is rated for. You are building a knock down type pit and it will scratch the first time you use it. I use flat black so the customer can touch it up easily.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I would say you are fighting a losing battle, especially with a knock down which there is no way to guarantee it won't scratch the finish. This is just common sense, if the customer doesn't get it, oh well. If he wants assembled and welded pits with a finish you could try some of the high heat engine paints or barbecue paints.
I just tell customers that I don't use them and if they intend on painting the fire pit I just make sure they have clean metal when they pick it up. I have had no takers on that option yet.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Thanks for your replies. I have been on the same boat, but was hoping I was ignorant to some miracle product. I think that for those that dont want the rust look, I will offer stainless as an option.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Maybe HOT dipped galvanized if the silver color isn't any problem.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Bigdogbro1 wrote:Maybe HOT dipped galvanized if the silver color isn't any problem.
I don't think burning galvanized steel around a bunch of people roasting marshmallows is a good idea...?

Yeah, no coating is gonna hold up. The customer is going to have to deal with it.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Billy wesson
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Billy wesson »

You may want to try some of the dyes that are for steel they will hold up to heat better than paint I build about 200 bar b que grills a year and dyes and gloss black paint work best good luck scratches are just a tattoo with a story behind them
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

What about stainless steel?

Yes, it is expensive, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Smooth/polished steel seems to rust less, especially for hand tools. Maybe a fine surface disc and then oil it down after every use, as already suggested.

Return to “Patina Finishes”