Tips to avoid dark spots-steelfx

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Tips to avoid dark spots-steelfx

Post by Metriccar »

I notice that when I go over an area again with steel fx, I get dark spots. Any way to avoid this? Obviously some times it's desireable others it's not. I'm guessing I need to improve technique so that I don't have to go back near an area. Kinda hard with larger pieces. [attachment=0]IMG_3785.JPG[/attachment]

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Craig Rumble
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Tips to avoid dark spots-steelfx

Post by Craig Rumble »

Funny I looked at this thread due to the same issue. All I can say, Is now I put the copper on with a gravity feed gun to atomize the hell out of it and cover more ground quickly. Then spray it off fast.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

Craig is correct. Dark spots occur only when leaving the COPPER F/X™ on the steel too long. I've also used a gravity feed gun (on large projects), but found that the Pump Pressure Sprayer offered on my website, works just as well. A light mist and a quick rinse w/ water is the trick. Resist the urge to go 'over and over' the same area. It's not necessary and it doesn't help. Also, limit the 'contact' or 'dwell' time to 10s or less before rinsing. Working in the shade will give you a little more working time, also.
thanks!
Bill :)
50 Oz. Pump Pressure Sprayer: https://goo.gl/xhv1BF
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Bill,

I notice your sprayer says to "Rinse After Each Use for Longest Life". I've been using the Solo 1L and 2L pump sprayers. After a certain period of time, the nozzles in these sprayers become brittle and break. I do leave the Copper F/X in the sprayers all the time. Will your sprayer do the same thing if left filled? I assume the acid is reacting with the plastic over time, and making it brittle.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Actually, I never rinse after use unless I've been using muriatic acid in them. I've had COPPER F/X in one of mine for over a year and it still works like brand new.
There is so little acid in the patinas that they won't hurt the seals. The Solo sprayers may have rubber o-rings, whereas the sprayer I sell has Viton seals that are unaffected by the patinas. I have ruined a couple of my sprayers that I left filled with muriatic acid, though.
Bill

Return to “Patina Finishes”