A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
DreamWerks Designs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Post by DreamWerks Designs »

Hey everybody, I'm new here but wanted to jump right in and offer up some sort of value to the forum (rather than just consuming other members tips).

I used to use a rusting chemical for a lot of my finishes until one day my girlfriend accidently got some overspray on a piece of metal art that had yet to be finished. Within 10 minutes of contact, there was 10 yrs of rust in that particular spot. From that point on, I have always put the cheap dollar store toilet bowl cleaner, mixed with a little water (no particular ratio) into a spray bottle to mist onto my rusted products.

For flat items, you can lay horseshoe's/stars/cactus/cowboy hat/etc. onto the metal before spraying to give it some cool effects.

You'll want to make sure that your product is fairly clean, I soak most of my stuff in muriatic acid and hit with a flap disk before rusting... I can't speak to how it performs under different conditions.

The best part is that the rust finish is very durable, it doesn't just flake off, and it can be clear coated when dry.

I hope that this helped give some of you an alternative. Some may know this already but if you found it helpful, let me know below.

-TB
greggomc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Post by greggomc »

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give it a try.
DreamWerks Designs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Give it a shot Greggomc! I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for commenting.

-TB
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

Ha! Seems like I am always fighting rust, trying to keep it off of my finished piece until I can get the right finish/sealer on!
Going to try this though, just for the fun of it. I like your idea of placing objects on the steel to create a different pattern!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
DreamWerks Designs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Haha Bobcat320, I know what you mean about usually fighting the rust... it's kind of ironic, huh. When I do this I typically put a small horseshoe on the hip of a large horse, or something like that, to create a ranch brand look. I also mess around with different designs on kokopelli items and Indian battle shields. Play around with it and let me know how it works out for you.

I'm from the Southwest (Az) where rust/chrome are considered actual colors :D
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

So true, have nightmares about rust. But we do have a number of pieces we sell "pre-rusted". Going to give it a try! Thanks!!!!
Funbum
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Funbum »

Going to try that...thanks!!
reedjj
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by reedjj »

Giving it a try now.
BAR M

Post by BAR M »

Thank you, can't wait to try this. I presently use muriatic acid and often have to coat it twice after the rust just flakes off.
revrat
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by revrat »

Thank You I will try the toilet cleaner, I presently use a little micritic acid (that has my old used copper tips and electrodes in it, adds a copper tint) and water, after soaking for a few hours I wet a portion of tall grass and flip the item face down on the grass, the next morning I have a cool pattern on my metal that everyone likes.
Looks like fur on my animals and Yetis.
Thanks Again
Dave T
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

revrat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:58 pm Thank You I will try the toilet cleaner, I presently use a little micritic acid (that has my old used copper tips and electrodes in it, adds a copper tint) and water, after soaking for a few hours I wet a portion of tall grass and flip the item face down on the grass, the next morning I have a cool pattern on my metal that everyone likes.
Looks like fur on my animals and Yetis.
Thanks Again
Dave T
No those are some cool ideas I have never heard before! Thanks for the ideas Dave :Like
4Dscreenart
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 4Dscreenart »

Peroxide... makes it rust very fast.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

4Dscreenart wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:32 pm Peroxide... makes it rust very fast.
I have sprayed on muriatic acid and then sprayed on some peroxide while the acid is still wet. Then after it dried I sprayed on some clear coat. It makes some interesting colors. The pigs shown below (actually javelina) are right after I sprayed on the acid/peroxide, but before I applied the satin clear coat.
David

20180626_163710_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Patina Finishes”