It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:40 pm

A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
DreamWerks Designs

A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Postby DreamWerks Designs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:19 am

Hey everybody, I'm new here but wanted to jump right in and offer up some sort of value to the forum (rather than just consuming other members tips).

I used to use a rusting chemical for a lot of my finishes until one day my girlfriend accidently got some overspray on a piece of metal art that had yet to be finished. Within 10 minutes of contact, there was 10 yrs of rust in that particular spot. From that point on, I have always put the cheap dollar store toilet bowl cleaner, mixed with a little water (no particular ratio) into a spray bottle to mist onto my rusted products.

For flat items, you can lay horseshoe's/stars/cactus/cowboy hat/etc. onto the metal before spraying to give it some cool effects.

You'll want to make sure that your product is fairly clean, I soak most of my stuff in muriatic acid and hit with a flap disk before rusting... I can't speak to how it performs under different conditions.

The best part is that the rust finish is very durable, it doesn't just flake off, and it can be clear coated when dry.

I hope that this helped give some of you an alternative. Some may know this already but if you found it helpful, let me know below.

-TB

greggomc

Re: A Cheap Alternative to Expensive Rusting Chemicals

Postby greggomc » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give it a try.

DreamWerks Designs

Postby DreamWerks Designs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:49 am

Give it a shot Greggomc! I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for commenting.

-TB

Bobcat320
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Postby Bobcat320 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

Ha! Seems like I am always fighting rust, trying to keep it off of my finished piece until I can get the right finish/sealer on!
Going to try this though, just for the fun of it. I like your idea of placing objects on the steel to create a different pattern!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!

DreamWerks Designs

Postby DreamWerks Designs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Haha Bobcat320, I know what you mean about usually fighting the rust... it's kind of ironic, huh. When I do this I typically put a small horseshoe on the hip of a large horse, or something like that, to create a ranch brand look. I also mess around with different designs on kokopelli items and Indian battle shields. Play around with it and let me know how it works out for you.

I'm from the Southwest (Az) where rust/chrome are considered actual colors :D

Maadman

Postby Maadman » Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 am

So true, have nightmares about rust. But we do have a number of pieces we sell "pre-rusted". Going to give it a try! Thanks!!!!

Funbum

Postby Funbum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Going to try that...thanks!!

reedjj

Postby reedjj » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 am

Giving it a try now.

BAR M

Postby BAR M » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you, can't wait to try this. I presently use muriatic acid and often have to coat it twice after the rust just flakes off.

Return to “Patina Finishes”