best clear on the market

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
DezertBlingMoto
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

best clear on the market

Post by DezertBlingMoto »

just wondering what is everyone getting the best results on clear coats ? out of a rattle can that is ........................ ive been using rust-oleum 2Xshine clear . Thank you input
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: best clear on the market

Post by motoguy »

I like Nason 403-00 from my local O'Reilly's Auto parts. I fought with several of the Walmart brand enamel clears, and pretty much hated them all. The Nason gives a great, deep shine, and being acrylic, it dries quickly. It's all I use now.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
mtwelder
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mtwelder »

Hi I have been using Dupli-Color wheel coat and have had great luck with it, dries fast.You can get it at NAPA auto parts.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

get rid of rattle cans= better results for less $. i use nason spot clear 2k. you can get it in a rattle can for about $30ea. or $160 a gallon, and spray with hvlp. the cheapish graco hvlp about $100 is a good gun.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Applied my first powder clear (P365 Everclear) today on a patina product. Holy cow. CRAZY improvement over the rattle can clear. My Finex FX1000 spray gun arrived just the other day. I had planned on moving up to a real 2k automotive clear, and even hit up my paint guy for a good combination. After seeing the results of this powder clear, though...I see no reason to mess with a liquid clear.
GDS Metal Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by GDS Metal Worx »

Try the super durable wet clear from columbia coatings. I think it is the best powder clear out there. And for an added touch, you can do a double or triple clear and then wet sand and polish it. super nice finish
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

web site for P365 Everclear, rdered some to try Thanks
http://powder365.com/store/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Clear Vision from Prismatic Powders:

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors ... AR-VISION/

It's my understanding the P365 Everclear was created to compete with Clear Vision. I ordered several powders from PP last week. Copper and silver veins, clear, ink black, etc. I forgot I had some Powders I'd ordered from P365. I shot the P365 powders first, which is why I shot the Everclear. I'm very happy with it, though.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

GDS Metal Worx wrote:Try the super durable wet clear from columbia coatings. I think it is the best powder clear out there. And for an added touch, you can do a double or triple clear and then wet sand and polish it. super nice finish
Great info! I'll have to give it a try. I cannot overstate how enamored I am with powder, after fighting all the crap with paint...
reedjj
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by reedjj »

Van Sickle Clear has done well for more.
john527
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john527 »

KRYLON CLEAR FUSION awesome stuff, dry's fast and dry's super shinny

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

Anyone have experience with a clearcoat to be used for outdoor purposes? I've used Rustoleum for and outdoor sign and it appears the moisture has penetrated the coat and began rusting the metal. That was on a brushed, bare metal with three coats of clear.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Cerokote clear is nearly bomb proof.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

When Gamelord speaks I pay attention and listen closely!
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Dupli-color clear acrylic enamel from NAPA (they order in a 6-pk case for me). It has the smaller light-blue spray nozzle that is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the giant white "cap" style nozzle. The light blue has a better wider / flat spray pattern with a finer particle. I think Krylon uses the same nozzle but there's is red. The clunky white one rustoleum uses is total garbage.

I've tested dupli-color, rust-o-leum and krylon brand clear enamels and they all seem to hold up okay, BUT it's the applicator nozzle they come with which makes the biggest difference IMO.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

What guns are you guys using to spray powder?
I powder coat my bullets because they don't require wax lube that way, but we tumble them in a container with airsoft bbs to create static.

I'm sick of dealing with spray cans and don't have a spray booth setup to shoot auto paint. I was a building painter for many years, so I have some practice using paint, but products change often in that industry.

Powder coat might be worth while, but I would have also come up with an oven or build one.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

CGT80 wrote:What guns are you guys using to spray powder?
I powder coat my bullets because they don't require wax lube that way, but we tumble them in a container with airsoft bbs to create static.

I'm sick of dealing with spray cans and don't have a spray booth setup to shoot auto paint. I was a building painter for many years, so I have some practice using paint, but products change often in that industry.

Powder coat might be worth while, but I would have also come up with an oven or build one.
I would think the $120 Eastwood Dual Voltage gun, and a cheap (or free) kitchen oven from Craigslist would be a good setup for bullet coating. Cheap, too.
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

motoguy wrote:
CGT80 wrote:What guns are you guys using to spray powder?

I would think the $120 Eastwood Dual Voltage gun, and a cheap (or free) kitchen oven from Craigslist would be a good setup for bullet coating. Cheap, too.
Actually, I have a small convection oven for bullets, but would need something bigger for powder coating parts that I cnc plasma cut. I considered a craigs list oven. I was browsing through the eastwood guns. Looks like I need to do some more reading and see what works for most and also learn more about the different voltage options for the guns.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I have a regular household oven which I used for small things (rarely use it any more), and a Ted's Fabrication 4x4x6 oven. Lots of guys who powdercoat cups/tumblers like the 110v smoker ovens, though they'll be slower to get to temp than a 220 unit. A household oven off Craigslist is a cheap (free to $50, for the 3 I've used) way to get a 220v oven that can handle small parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oVBvdgLZqA

I'd like to have a 2x2x4 to go with my 4x4x6. Seems that would be a pretty good combo.

As far as the guns, I have 2 Eastwood DV guns, and 2 Colo 181 units (one box feed converted to cup feed, the other cup feed from the factory). I also had a Redline EZ50, and was very disappointed in it. I'd suggest starting with the Eastwood DV gun, then jumping to something like the Colo, and if you need to upgrade past that, it's time to check out a Pro gun (Nordsen, Gema, Wagner, Parker, etc).
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

I went to the dark side and took the advice to get the eastwood dual voltage gun. After cutting some script style text and prepping it, I sprayed it with a hammered looking powder from eastwood. It turned out very nice, but I will need bigger loops in my hanging wire next time as there were a couple shadows.

Most likely, I will build myself a bigger oven, but I am pleased with the first little project. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Patina Finishes”