Raw Steel

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Raw Steel

Post by RGR »

Anyone do anything special for raw mild steel as far as wax or something other than a clear coat or powdercoat. I have a guy wanting a sign done in Raw steel, with some polishing with a grinder. He doesnt want any coatings on it and it will be hung inside. I was wondering if a floor paste or something could be applied and keep it from flash rusting over time. thanks.
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Raw Steel

Post by Redneck »

You could put a matte clear powdercoat on it.......it would look bare, but still be protected.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

There is an old coating that blacksmiths used to use, the name escapes me right now. Should be good for indoor / no sun pieces. It is a mixture of wax and a drying oil with a solvent. As I recall it is mostly Bee's wax, Linseed oil and Turpentine.

John
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

i'd use stainless. hit with a grinder its looks very similar and doesn't need a coating
RGR
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by RGR »

Good feedback guys. I was wanting to do the stainless route, but He wanted it to show some of the weld and imperfections in the mill scale. A rustic looking piece. I was going to grind a few of the areas where the text is going and such to bring out some added detail. I have cut some stainless , but I get a blackline on the edge of the stainless that I have learned how to deal with yet.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Fluid film works good. Comes in a spray can. Spray light coat, wipe down. It's basically a sheep lanolin by product. Car wax should work as well. I wax my welding table and it stays clean. All will need to be reapplied. I would best fluid film would last the longest.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

For this kind of sign I always hit it with a light coat of matte clear out of a rattle can.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
J3mbeck
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by J3mbeck »