Tiny bubbles

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Tiny bubbles

Post by exceptional »

I've searched for this topic with no luck. So any advice is appreciated. I'm using FX clear coat on a patina finish. Final results is a clear finish with very tiny bubbles equally spread out over the project. I lay the project in an almost flat position and apply the clear coat in several coats. I get really good coverage but tiny bubbles. Suggestions are appreciated. t
tylerdjudd12
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Tiny bubbles

Post by tylerdjudd12 »

Not sure what FX clear is, but I use a good automotive clear, and have no problems. Also do you wipe the part before clear? Sometimes solvents can get trapped and create little bubbles in clear. I use that glass cleaner that foams, and it works really well.
Tyler Judd
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

It's maybe not leaving enough time between coats to let solvents evaporate, I have had that happen wit 2k paint.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

I have been told in the past when using a clearcoat to always lay down a very light first coat "dry" and leave it until all the solvent flashes off.
Thats so the first coat dosent attack the original coat your coating over :?:
Then when the first "dry" coat has fully flashed off apply another coat but heavier "wet" to the item and additional coats if required
the trick I believe is to make sure that first coat flashes off real quick and seals the surface before it can etch into or attack the original :?:
only a suggestion as I am no expert ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
dekoch
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dekoch »

I agree with exapprentice and SeanP. I have had the same issue in the past and the lighter coat you put on first helps trap oils and such under the paint. I was also told that the oil from metal can cause a reaction with clear coat, so use a cleaner on the metal before you paint I am not sure if this is correct but since I started to spray a light coat on and let it dry for a good time has prevented the bubbles from appearing.
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

i believe they use a ppg 2k clear. uniform tiny bubbles... sounds like the acid hasn't been completely removed or some other oxidization process hasn't been stopped. be sure the piece has been thoroughly rinsed, blown off with compressed air, and dried. after i blow them 'dry' i hang them by the fireplace till the metal reads room temp then put them on the paint rack and spray away.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

It's 'Solvent Pop'...Nothing to do with the patina or dye ingredients or rinsing.

Just fyi...The Acid Content of Most Water-Based Steel Patinas is less than 1%. Some of the patinas are 0% Acid.

When shooting 2-Part Clear, I use 2 wet coats, about 10-12 mins. apart. If I get in a hurry on the timing, or lay it on too heavy, I'll get the same thing: Bubbles & Blisters...aka solvent pop. Easy to fix, though...let it cure, sand out with 320 or 400, re-shoot. Done.

bw
tnttracy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tnttracy »

would the use of a 'fish eye reducer' type product help reduce to potential of solvent pop?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

fish eye reducer is to eliminate dust particles (silicone) where the paint to not cover it. The paint will avoid the particle and will look like a fish eye on the surface, look like a dimple when dried. It is not the same you are talking about trapped solvent (bubbles) that is covered by the layer of paint.
Fish eye
Fish eye (Fig. 10) is caused by a contaminant on the surface prior to application of paint. Generally speaking, that contaminant is a light oil (silicon), which has, by whatever means, found its way to the surface of the vehicle. When paint is applied on top of this contaminant, the paint is unable to adhere to the oily surface and a "fish eye crater" is caused.
fisheye.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Patina Finishes”