Finish for pizza oven door

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Finish for pizza oven door

Post by Shane Warnick »

So,

I have been asked to make a door for a pizza oven in a customers backyard. Because of temp, powder coat is out. I can obviously do high temp paint, but I think I can do better than that. I have heard of some home brew patina's etc that are part boiled linseed oil, part china hardener, part??? I don't have any experience with any, so, other than ceramic coating does anyone have a recipe for of any experience with anything along these lines?? I also am making a few truss plates, as well as a chimney cap for the same oven, and they want them all to match. Oh, and last forever, no rust and don't want to refinish them every 3-5 years to keep them looking brand new. (I know I know, why the hell can't everything last forever and never deteriorate??)

Thanks in advance for your time on this.

Shane
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Finish for pizza oven door

Post by acourtjester »

how about this stuff they make a few different coatings for engines
http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishe ... ier-black/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I have an email in to them, waiting to see what they say about using it on an oven door. I keep ending up back at a ceramic process, but I am just not sure about the health safety side of it. If it's cured, and doesn't burn, once it's been hot I would think there wouldn't be any nasties left to offgas when heated. I actually got silence when I called and asked, then they requested I email some other dude to see what he said. Prob get the standard legal department no and we aren't liable either, but we shall see.

Thanks
Shane
JimmyMac
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JimmyMac »

It looks like Sherwood Williams back several lines of food grade paint. the key word with this paint is that it will have to be Food Grade. Good luck.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I have heard everything from ceramic to stove black. Probably going to be high temp paint and be done with it. That being said, I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and reply. Thanks again

Shane
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I didn't have good luck when looking for assurances from manufactures. Verbally, they were like: "Yeah, that's what the product is for. What's the problem?"

After customers asked about it, I asked the manufacture for a written statement. They then said it shouldn't be used. :x

Return to “Patina Finishes”