Dyes running with rattle can clear coat???

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Dyes running with rattle can clear coat???

Post by cbassjr »

On smaller projects I really don't want to mix up a batch of auto clear coat. I did a small project the other day, sprayed it with some high dollar autumotive rattle can clear coat and to my surprise the project that I used the dyes on was running all over. Evidently every rattle can clear coat has an acetone base as the thinner. What's the work around???
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dyes running with rattle can clear coat???

Post by steelfx »

A 2-part clear (in a single can) like SprayMax 2K Clear will work. http://steelfxpatinas.com/shop/supplies ... lear-coat/
Or, you could shoot Bulldog Adhesion Promoter on first, wait 5 minutes & shoot your clear. It comes in a spray-can, too.

bw
skyecyn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by skyecyn »

I purchased the Bulldog Adhesion promoter and tried it today and it made my dyes run worse than the clear coat did. Looking for something with longer shelf life than 3 days. I do not do many dye jobs so I hate to waste that much and just cant justify the cost for the 2k clear coat.
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

i have used upol clear#1 amd had no issue with runs. its a 1k that gets me good results. pricey compared to krylon or whatever but far far superior. give a can a try.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I have been using the F/X dyes and rattle can clear coat with great results. You should put your first coat on very lite, allow 5 to 8 minutes for drying and then add second and even third coats. When I first started I had the same problem before I realized it was being caused by applying too heavy of a first coat.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape

Return to “Patina Finishes”