HATE PAINTING

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

HATE PAINTING

Post by icmplasma85 »

Bill,
I am really close to ordering a kit from you, I can't stand painting and really like the finish your products give. I've watched a few videos on using your products, but really, how easy is it to get a multi-color patina finish on something without screwing it up? The videos make it look extremely easy, at least much faster than painting and taping off, then painting some more, letting it dry etc etc. It has gotten to the point where I would almost rather pay the customer so I don't have to paint pieces. I've been selling most products in the last few months bare metal, just ground and buffed, for cheap because its easier for me than trying to put a finish on things. However, I believe products sold with your finishes can be sold for even more than if they were painted, they really look great when they are done. So bottom line, how much practice does it take with your products for someone who can barely paint something one color??
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HATE PAINTING

Post by steelfx »

Pretty tough question to answer definitively, without knowing much about you.
Easily 95% of STEEL F/X? customers achieve excellence in a relatively short time.
The 5% that hope for excellence without putting in some time for experimentation, technique & practice rarely achieve
the "magic" results hoped for and opt for other methods.

Keep in mind, since you dislike painting, that the patinas and dyes require a clear-coat, and to do justice to quality pieces, you need to use a 2-part automotive topcoat. No masking involved, but it is painting.

I think it would be fair to say that on your first day with the patinas, you'll achieve some success.
2nd day through 30th day will produce more success, refinement & you'll come up with your own favorite style/s.

Day 31 and beyond, you'll be constantly learning new things & achieving a level of excellence that we all strive to attain.

The patination & coloring of steel is not something that is ever truly mastered. You must be constantly learning &
reaching for more...

thanks,

Bill ;)
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Just used my copper patina I bought in the spring . it was easy as it looks in the video .
if the rest are similar I think I can do it.

the copper is awesome !!

thanks bill

now to try the rest of the kit :)
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

What I like about the patinas is you never really get the exact same result. Time of exposure, temp, etc all play a part in the final outcome. But that is what i desire as we are working with a raw material and want to bring out some natural qualities with the use of chemicals.
To me paint is too artificial. Might just as well use cardboard as a medium.
Just my two cents.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
icmplasma85
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by icmplasma85 »

Thanks Bill and others for your input.

I like to think that I catch on to things pretty quickly, Im just not really set up to do alot of painting, but it seems there is minimal set up in doing these patinas the way Bill does. I like finishes that are supposed to be "not perfect". Paint, in my opinion, is the opposite. You notice every blemish or imperfection, but with patina its more of an art and not so much how well you can put an even coat of paint on a piece of metal, but more of an abstract finish. Clear coating isn't a problem, its more having to put multiple colors on pieces.

So Bill, you will be receiving an order from me within the next week or two. If you have any suggestions or pointers on things I need or should order as a first timer, please let me know. Thanks for your time.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Millermatic 211 MIG Welder

Return to “Patina Finishes”