Steelfx question

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
airplanes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Steelfx question

Post by airplanes »

I am looking to purchase some of the Patina's from Steelfx but have a question about practical application. I notice in the videos that he uses water to neutralize his patina's. In Montana I don't imagine I will be outside squirting water with a hose hookup anytime soon because of the cold. Are these patinas practical to apply in the winter season especially if they are 2-4 foot art pieces. How do others in cold climate apply these during the winter months.
thanks
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steelfx question

Post by abmetal »

I do mine inside the shop by the drain.

Allen
airplanes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by airplanes »

thanks. Can you just use a spray bottle of water or is that not enough water to neutralize the patina?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

airplanes wrote:thanks. Can you just use a spray bottle of water or is that not enough water to neutralize the patina?
Winters won't stop you from doing patina work as there are several ways to get the necessary water to your work piece:

1) As airplane mentioned, a spray bottle or even better, a 2-gallon pump-sprayer filled with hot water is just fine.
2) If you've got a few bucks, you can order a heated garden hose. <$100 for a 25' hose. gemplers.com
3) Another option is a wall-mounted, propane-fired outdoor shower. Mine was purchased for under $150, has 100% duty cycle and came with a 10' X 3/8" hose & shower head w/ paddle switch. I bought it to bathe my dogs, but have found other uses for it, including warm water outside when my normal hose has iced up.
4) If you have a utility sink in your shop, with a threaded spigot, you can run your water outside from the utility sink. You can also do all of your patina work inside the shop. I just prefer indirect outdoor lighting for truer color definition.
5) A 20-gallon rinse tank ( see Tech Tips http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=11813 for photo) with clean water & a gallon of propylene glycol would be one other way. Denatured alcohol added to the rinse tank water would also work as an anti-freeze w/ no negative effects on the rinsing of the patinas. Don't use automotive or RV anti-freeze, though.

Note: If you have a yard hydrant that was properly installed, as opposed to a standard hose-bib, it won't freeze up as long as you disconnect your hose at the end of the day. Moving water (through a hose) takes a LOT longer to freeze than static water.

Thought for the day: "It's simple until you make it complicated", author unknown, but it's sure true.

thanks! :D :D

Bill
airplanes
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by airplanes »

Thanks very much for the reply. I will get something figured out.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

airplanes wrote:Thanks very much for the reply. I will get something figured out.
You're welcome! Let me know what you decide works best for you. It may easily be entirely different than
what I mentioned, but better for your situation.

Bill :D

Return to “Patina Finishes”