Inkscape to trace bitmaps and export directly into Sheetcam

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Xalky
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Inkscape to trace bitmaps and export directly into Sheetcam

Post by Xalky »

Since I'm not very good with creating files in CAD yet, I've been using Inkscape primarily to create my pre-cam vector files and saving them as .svg.

The method is to grab or create or alter a bitmap using a paint type program. Then Import that file into Inkscape. Trace the bitmap in inkscape. This works best when all the "metal" parts are black and all the "cutouts" are white when created in your paint program. The Inkscape trace function does a wonderful job of tracing bitmaps this way. Once traced in Inkscape There will be a trace vector file beneath the bitmap. Seperate them, delete the bitmap, and now your left with a .svg vector file.

That file can now be resized easily in Inkscape by setting the graph bars to inches, you can just pull on one corner to size it to any size you want. That size will now be the size of your part in Sheetcam. Save the file as a .svg. When done open Sheetcam and import the drawing into Sheetcam, setup your cut tools etc... Run your post and you now have a Mach ready .tap file , ready to cut on your machine.

This works very well if you more of a graphics background rather than CAD experience. It's especially good for artsy stuff where the exact dimensions are not critical.

Return to “Inkscape”