Wire frame view ok Normal view is only partial

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Wire frame view ok Normal view is only partial

Post by Paint Chip »

I think this was mentioned before but I couldn't find is in searches on a couple different key words. I created a drawing in inkscape by doing some selective copying in paint and then pasting in inkscape/tracing the bitmap. After a bunch of time spent editing the drawing in wireframe view,it is done and looks good in Sheetcam. When I go to view it in normal display in inkscape, to get an idea of what it will actually look like cut, I get a blank screen. I tried filling the solid area with black but I get an "area is not bound, cannot fill" statement at the bottom of the screen. Sheetcam says the outside is enclosed and I went all the way around the outside, segment by segment and it appears to be contiguous. What am I missing?
PPLLC 4X8 table w 620 ox steppers on 5 axes
Bladerunner CandCNC w/DTHC II
Hypertherm PM85
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Wire frame view ok Normal view is only partial

Post by acourtjester »

I think this is where your problem is if you close out inkscape with the outline selected when you come back in you will not see things on the screen
It needs to be in normal
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 529 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

When I open inkscape it opens in normal view my drawing is invisible - I can only see it when I change to outline. Closing it in normal mode doesn't appear to change how it opens. I tried closing it out in normal view and re-opening - it's still invisible until I select outline view. I tried copying it in outline and pasting it in word - it recognizes there is an object but it is invisible there too. Sheetcam sees it fine though.
Hypertherm PM85
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Try increasing the line width in stroke style
Attachments
Inkscape.JPG
Inkscape.JPG (79.72 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Line width was at 0 so I thought that was it - I tried selecting the object as a whole and also by selecting all of the oaths. Both ways, I set the line width to 2mm but that had no effect. I still can't get it to show up in normal view. It appears ok in Sheetcam so I can cut the file but I am trying to learn how to use this software and the manual does not offer much help. At this rate I won't need a haircut any time soon. Anyway, thanks guys for your help and any other suggestions you may have.

Dave
Hypertherm PM85
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Share the file and someone will help
Try leaving it in PX then set the line width to 5.000 or bigger
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Ok, so I finally got it! Here's a link I found on issues with viewing things normal mode in Inkscape that really helped, in case anybody else has a similar issue :https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com ... n-inkscape. It seems that I had the opacity of each individual path set at zero. Combined with making the line width 5 px made everything visible in normal mode. The next issue was some areas of normal view were reversed black-to-white. That turned out to be a node issue which I'm going to have to study further, but deleting the nodes where the colors reversed in normal view (which broke the line at that point) and replacing them with regular nodes and reconnecting the lines set all the colors straight. The last issue was some paths not showing in normal view, which I solved by selecting all paths and using the Combine button under Path - I had mistakenly used Group, under Object, which didn't work. Thanks Old Iron and acourtjester for your help.
Hypertherm PM85
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Just an added note when setting up a drawing for plasma cutting try to keep the stroke width very low this helps to keep the torch following path accurate. SheetCam will show the small line without a problem but in Inkscape they look faint.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Inkscape”