Inkscape help

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Inkscape help

Post by kennye »

I really need some help this is about to drive me crazy Ive been trying to make this file on and off bout two weeks
I cant seem to grasp the concept of union Every where I look on the web there are a lot of ways to achieve it but none seem to work for me
I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at this file and tell me where Im screwing up at Im trying to keep my letters from falling out and with my palm tree seems like I have 10000 starting points in it Its got me to the point my wife wants to have me evaluated for a mental illness
thanks for any help.
Attachments
MAY B.dxf
(370.12 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Inkscape help

Post by Gamelord »

Not sure what is going on in Inkscape, but I opened up your drawing in Corel. This is what I found.

1) Tons of segments. It is very hard to weld/cut/trim objects together unless they are completely closed objects. This means no open nodes on the piece(s) you are trying to join together. In Corel, I used the "Join Nodes" feature which connected every node together except one (in the palm tree base). Once these were connected I was then able to use the Trim tool to trim each piece out of the other
a) I trimmed the smaller inner circle out of the larger outer circle.
b) I then trimmed each drop-out on the letters out of their larger portion
c) I then re-positioned all the letters and centered them into the outer ring
d) I then trimmed the letters out of the outer ring.
I then tried to weld the tree to the outer ring and found that there was a large gap in the object in the base. I selected those nodes and joined them, checking that the object was now closed and then was able to weld it to the outer ring, making the outer ring and the tree all one piece.
I then trimmed the inner part of the moon out of the outer part and then colored the whole thing to make sure it was what I wanted.

You will still need to address the letter dropouts as well as the moon, which will drop out of the drawing as well, unless you are making it in a layered object.

I hope this helps you on your journey. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attachments
mayb-fixed.dxf
(954.4 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
kennye
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kennye »

Its definitely been a journey I appreciate the help I've got a long way to go Im about to think the version of inkscape is screwed up
nothing seems to work like advertised is there another program out there that would work? Im to the point I dont care what it costs Im tired of going around in circles. .Again thanks for the help.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Inkscape is one of the easiest programs to learn. If you go and purchase one of the more expensive programs and find that you have the same problems learning them you will REALLY BE SICK. The best advice I can give you is to start watching all the Inkscape videos on UTUBE.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I use Corel, but the more I have worked with Inkscape it appears to nearly identical. Names of tools have been changed in some cases and the layout is different....but they tend to function the same. Adobe is also the same way, pretty much the same as Corel but layout and tool names are different. Of course there are some features on one program that work a little better/easier than the other but the learning curve will be the same on any of them.

I concur that if you already have Inkscape, watch the videos and learn. You will have to do the same thing with any other program you purchase. If you are dead set on something else, I do like Corel (because I have been using it since the original ver. 3 on windows 3.1). Corel does have a free 30 day trial that you can download. Learning curve will most likely be the same as Inkscape so not sure if it will be faster/easier or not.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have a large group of downloaded Inkscape tutorials that I can send you links for the Google drive for you to download to your hard drive for viewing. PM sent with my email connection.
What ever program you select stay with it for a quicker learning carve, as you can see there are categories here to ask for help with the different programs.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Inkscape”