Typing text and tracing it

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Typing text and tracing it

Post by DXF »

I usually use Plasma Cam but want to learn how to type text, trace it and export as a dxf file in Inkscape. My Plasma Cam software won't let me use the font I want but Inkscape will. Thanks for your help.

Dave Hanks
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Typing text and tracing it

Post by little blue choo »

type your text, select it, under path choose object to path, then under path choose combine, then under file choose save as and select your destination and DXF and you're done. very quick and easy to do. Hope this helps.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

In corel, you would export it to DXF.....not save. But that is Corel. Inkscape may allow you to save as DXF instead of exporting.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Inkscape allow all kinds of manipulations of test (bending, shaping, bulging, ect) one thing I always do is after it is a path I click on fill & stroke option and remove the fill (screen shows blank then) the click on stroke and give it a color then stroke style and click on in for inch and make the line very small like 0.005". This give SheetCam a fine line to follow when cutting the letters. The stroke color can also give you another layer if you want separate letters for the cutting operation.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Dave,
Sounds like since you're using text you have Advanced Design. It would be much easier to make the font usable in Design Edge. If you open your font folder (probably \Windows\Fonts) you can look at the properties of the font file for the one you are trying to use. If it is an OTF (Open Type Font) you will not be able to use it in Design Edge BUT if you Google OTF to TTF converter you will find that you can use an online conversion tool to change it to a TTF. Install the TTF (it will ask if you want to overrite, yep) and you should be able to use it in DesignEdge directly!
DXF

Post by DXF »

rdj357 wrote:Dave,
Sounds like since you're using text you have Advanced Design. It would be much easier to make the font usable in Design Edge. If you open your font folder (probably \Windows\Fonts) you can look at the properties of the font file for the one you are trying to use. If it is an OTF (Open Type Font) you will not be able to use it in Design Edge BUT if you Google OTF to TTF converter you will find that you can use an online conversion tool to change it to a TTF. Install the TTF (it will ask if you want to overrite, yep) and you should be able to use it in DesignEdge directly!
That worked! I used this converter https://convertio.co/otf-ttf/ Converted it from OTF to TTF, then downloaded it and installed. Works perfectly in Plasma Cam 3.1 now. Thank you!

Dave Hanks
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

DXF wrote: That worked! I used this converter https://convertio.co/otf-ttf/ Converted it from OTF to TTF, then downloaded it and installed. Works perfectly in Plasma Cam 3.1 now. Thank you!

Dave Hanks
No problem, glad that worked and hopefully saved you some steps! :mrgreen:

Return to “Inkscape”