Need some education.

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Need some education.

Post by sawdust1 »

On the forum is a file called scottish dragon. The file is .dxf, I wish to modify it so I need to turn it into say an svg so I can play with it. I cannot convince my qcad or inscape to even show it to me.

Thoughts? I would like to know how to make it visible in one of these programs preferably inkscape.
I have tried to use inscape before and not had any luck with any of the dxf files I have tried to play with.

Not looking to get rescued just educated.
Much appreciated.
David
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Need some education.

Post by Gamelord »

Not sure where the file is, but you could be importing it just fine but the lines may be the same color as your background therefore you wouldn't see anything. Try this, import and then press the CTRL +A. This is a "Select All" feature so if there is anything there, even if it is invisible to see, you will be able to select it. If anything selects, click on the black color icon and color it black so you can see it.

Other problem, you are exporting it so big that you cant see anything. It may be so large that when importing, you are looking at the belly where nothing is. Check your import sizing and make sure you are importing it at a reasonable size.

If it is a good DXF file, you should be able to import it and work with it however you need.

I did a quick search and if I found the right file, it opened up just fine for me in Corel.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I downloaded the file from here and it opens fine in Inkscape and I saved it from there in both DXF and SVG formats. It is about 6" tall and 8" wide.
The last one is from QCAD saved as R18 DXF format
SCOTTISH DRAGON.svg
(17.94 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
SCOTTISH DRAGON.dxf
(123.11 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
SCOTTISH DRAGONA.dxf
(349.93 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I will try later today and also thank you for converting it. Colour never occurred to me.
Will let you know what happens!

The update.
Part of my problem I think is that I use a mac for manipulating pictures, they do not always play nice using pc programs under wineskin.
I did manage to see the image in Qcad, it took 5 minutes to render. I exported as an svg, it does exist and my drawing program was unable to view it though it should have been able to.
Thank you for the conversion, I will download and use that while i keep trying to do it myself.

David
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

No clue why I could not use the files that you converted for me.
I finally went back to the net and found a Welsh flag and scanned it in. Many of the lines were really thin and I thickened them up. The file would still be more appropriate for a laser. I will put it in the shared section. I think I will cut another version after filling in the wings to give it more weight visually.
David
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Could it be because the DXF files above are spines and not lines / polylines?

{thought it was a Walsh dragon)
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

The original was from the Welsh Flag. I just pulled the Welsh Dragon out of it.. I need to learn more a bout splines and lines.

Return to “Inkscape”