Inkscape to sheetcam issue

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Yert42
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Inkscape to sheetcam issue

Post by Yert42 »

I have a question and I hope someone can help. I am new to Inkscape and sheetcam I haven't even got my table yet question is when I save a drawing in inkscape as a svg file and try to open it in sheetcam it will not open but it will open as a dxf file. And when I save it as a svg file it saves it as a Internet explorer icon but when I save it as a DXF file it uses the inkscape icon thanks for any help
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape to sheetcam issue

Post by plasmanewbie »

An SVG file is a Scalable Vector Graphic and is a great format to use. You can edit existing SVG files, create new SVG files, etc in Inkscape. When it comes time to cut the SVG design you created you need to save it in a format that your machine controller can read and DXF is the common format. Everything you are seeing is normal so just continue designing SVG files and save or export as dxf when ready to cut. As for the Internet Explorer icon that is because windows is using Internet Explorer to open and display SVG files for you. It would make sense that you have Inkscape be the default application to open your SVG's. To change that right click on an SVG file and from the drop down menu select "choose default program". Now locate Inkscape and select it to be the default program. Now you should see the Inkscape icon beside SVG files rather than the Internet Explorer icon. Hope this helps.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Yert, Not to completely discount what plasmaNewbie has said, but SheetCAM will open .svg files directly and very accurately. I rarely touch dxf files anymore. I go from Inkscape to SheeCAM using only .svg files, even with CAD like stuff. The scaling is the tricky part. SheetCAM opens .svg files 1:1.

You need to change the file type in the filetype drop down window, when you go looking for the file from SheetCAM so it can "see" the svg files in your saved folders.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Yert42 wrote:I have a question and I hope someone can help. I am new to Inkscape and sheetcam I haven't even got my table yet question is when I save a drawing in inkscape as a svg file and try to open it in sheetcam it will not open but it will open as a dxf file. And when I save it as a svg file it saves it as a Internet explorer icon but when I save it as a DXF file it uses the inkscape icon thanks for any help

Just select the import file type in the lower right corner as SVG. at 1:1 as stated. It pops right in with arcs, circles and complex curves intact

Return to “Inkscape”