Help Converting a DXF File to SVG

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
travm415
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Help Converting a DXF File to SVG

Post by travm415 »

I'm very new to Plasma Spider. I have been researching and attempting to convert a file from a DXF to SVG. I have Solid Edge which I'm not very proficient with. I mainly use Inkscape then import into sheetcam then import into Mach3. When I download a DXF file into Inkscape it doesn't let me add anything to the original file. Now I can change the size and import into Sheetcam. I'm wanting to be able to convert into a SVG file so I can put my own personal touches on. Can someone please put me into the right direction. I appreciate any help that I can get. You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help Converting a DXF File to SVG

Post by plasmanewbie »

I use CorelDraw and I can simply open a dxf and export it back out as an svg file. Not sure if Solid Edge gives you that option in the File drop down menu with an Export command. Corel has free trial if your interested in giving it a go.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok here is something you may not understand you can draw new things but until they are a path they will not be added to you original when you save it. An easy way to see if something is a path is have the node tool in the upper left highlighted. Then as you move the curser (mouse pointer) around the page the object will change to a red object briefly (the outline of a square or circle or part ect)
Now to change things to a path select them and go to the path drop down menu and click on either "object to path" or "stroke to path".
When you save things you can select the format it is saved in using the "save as" button and there you will see the different formats under the "save as type" I use the plain SVG on the inkscape SVG format.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
travm415
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by travm415 »

When i select the object and go to the path drop down menu and hit object to path it tells me no object has been selected. The lines are clearly surrounding the object. This is a drawing that I have downloaded from this site and I'm wanting to change it up a bit by adding text into the drawing but it won't allow me to do that. I wonder if it is a corrupt file.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here is more info a path has nodes see images
look1.jpg
look1.jpg (48.66 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
look 2.jpg
look 2.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
look 3.jpg
look 3.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
look 5.jpg
look 5.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
travm415
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by travm415 »

I greatly appreciate your help acourtjester and I know Im being a pain in the butt. I have the drawing of the Tattered Flag that I downloaded from this site and when it is selected it won't allow me to do the object to path. It says no object selected.
travm415
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by travm415 »

Attachments
Inkscape2.jpg
Inkscape1.jpg
plasmartist
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by plasmartist »

Another option for you, and this will be pretty close to converting. Open the dxf file in solid edge, copy the image and paste it in inkscape. you'll notice that many of the segments are desconnected so you can then select the node tool, select join selected nodes, highlight them and voila. you will now have a dxf file that behaves as if it was created in inkscape. Thats the way I do it. BTW if you use an older computer, dont be alarmed if the joining nodes function locks down your pc for a bit, my solid state drive has made it faster, but still slower than I would expect for something simple.

Return to “Inkscape”