DXF Issues

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

DXF Issues

Post by BanksAg »

In preparation for our table's arrival in three weeks I've been trying to learn Inkscape & Sheetcam, but have ran into some odd issues. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I output a file from Inkscape into a DXF I get extra lines, unattached line segments, etc. in the DXF. I attached screenshots of the svg file & dxf file from the latest issue, as well the actual svg file. I noticed the issues with this one when I opened the dxf in Sheetcam; Sheetcam showed several line segments where there shouldn't be any lines. I've tried opening this dxf in Rhino & SketchUp and have had the same issues with extra lines and multiple line segments.

I also get issues sometimes when I draw something in Rhino, export it to a dxf, then try to open it in Inkscape. The Braves logo below is what it looks like in Rhino compared to what the dxf looks like when opened in Inkscape. I find it easier to trace a picture in Rhino, but easier to work with text in Inkscape. My goal was to open our school's logo in Inkscape, and play around with adding text, but a large portion of the picture is missing in the dxf.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Tim
Banks High School
Attachments
Eggleston.JPG
Eggleston.JPG (31.37 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Eggleston-DXF.JPG
Eggleston-DXF.JPG (44.95 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Eggleston Monogram.svg
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Braves-Rhino.JPG
Braves-Rhino.JPG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Braves-Inkscape.JPG
Braves-Inkscape.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: DXF Issues

Post by Capstone »

If you're creating designs within Inkscape and then specifically sending those designs to SheetCAM, I highly suggest you skip the DXF file format and stick with SVG. SheetCAM reads SVG at a 1:1 ratio and will replicate your intended designs effortlessly.

When using Text in Inskcape, you must convert the finished result from an Object to a Path (Ctrl + Shift + C) and then also combine it with the rest of the design.

Rather than a long repetitive post without the benefit of explanatory pics, this youtube channel (not mine) is IMHO required viewing for new Plasma Table Users and a great refreshers for the seasoned users. Arclight Dynamics

I can't emphasize enough the importance of watching pretty much every one of the design focused videos Arclight produced if you want to get a leg up.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

Thanks. I didn't realize you could open svg files straight into Sheetcam; I'll have to try that.

You may have just reminded me the mistake I made in Inkscape. We're getting an Arclight table, so I've watched all of their Inkscape/Sheetcam/Mach 3 videos at least twice, and I can hear the voice in the video walking through the steps of adding text. Not sure if that's what my issues is, but I have some things to try now.

Tim
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

BanksAg wrote:Thanks. I didn't realize you could open svg files straight into Sheetcam; I'll have to try that.

Just remember to "combine" your design into one group. For some reason now (it didn't used to), SheetCAM scrambles up different elements.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I never transform by SVG files to DXF. SheetCam reads them as good if not better than DXF files. SVG files have much less nodes and are smother and easier to work with. I used to change over some of my files for sharing here but would sometimes have the same issue you're having so I started posting them in SVG only. If others want them in a DXF file they can convert them themselves.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

DXF is a format only its Mother (autoDesk) could love. It can be messed up in numerous ways. Each release of AutoCAD brings a new DXF format and a lot of export filters in various packages may or may not support it. Then you have the import filters that may or may not support it and the DXF documentation is not always clear or up to date. Unlike some highly documented and standard formats like EPS, PDF, AI , etc, DXF is a little sketchy. You may want to check and see if your Inkscape is the latest release. They have been working on trying to fix the DXF export. Some of the DXF export filters are horrid. One is the filter in CorelDraw that does what a lot of others do and exported arcs and circles as hundreds of small line segments with zillions of nodes. SheetCAM was (is) pretty good at reading it doing its best to curve fit and that combined with CV in MACH and LINUXCNC helped. Coreldraw and Inkscape use Bezier Curves that are complex multi directional curves and do not work well in a DXF format. SVG has solved a lot of that issue in that it exports intact the curves with minimal nodes. Is it perfect. No but it works for most desings. I have been told that on really huge files with lots of nested parts it is slower to load inot SheetCAM but source most of our cutting is only a few larger detailed cuts per sheet. I have never seen personally any slow loads of an SVG. The good news is that you have choices and with a package like Inkscape, CorelDraw , VCarve or Cut 2D your choice of import filters is wide and you can have access to a much larger world of quality vector clipart used by the professional sign industry.
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

Thank you for the information; I appreciate it! The more software programs I play with/learn, the more I realize there are quirky things with file types in each.

Return to “Inkscape”