AutoCAD to inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

AutoCAD to inkscape

Post by ajk2004 »

Hey Guys,
I finally got my CNC plasma table up and running and now I am trying to figure out the software. I know there have been posts about this before but I feel like I am having different troubles, maybe, then other folks. I am a school teacher in Iowa and I am very comfortable using AutoCAD. I like to design my pieces on that and then bring them in to more of an artsy CAD program to give the piece some artistic touches. For example, we currently have TorchMate at the school. TMCAD, IMO, is awful!!! If you are making basic signage and little trinkets, it is fabulous. If you are doing anything complex, it would take me 5 times as long in TMCAD as the same thing in AutoCAD. I bring it into TMCAD because I can add some artistic touches that I can't do on ACAD. I am transitioning to inkscape. I think once I get comfortable in Inkscape, the possibilities are endless.....I think... The problem I am having, I save the ACAD file as a DXF. I dont have any problem bringing in a file. I can bring it in and everything transfers fine. I don't know if inkscape isn't doing what i want or I am not doing something correctly. When I am designing, or trying to design, I just can't seem to get the program to do what I want. I will attach a couple files. For people proficient in inkscape, could you try opening this file and manipulate it to see if you can do what you want with it, or if there is something that is screwed up that I am not doing right. Thanks for your help. The .dxf file Im going to use is the start of an outdoor bench I am going to make. Thanks for looking.
Andy
foundation bench.dxf
(154.25 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: AutoCAD to inkscape

Post by tnbndr »

I use AutoCAD exclusively for all my artwork as I am very comfortable with it as opposed to learning a new software.
What does Inkscape do that you can't do in Autocad?
If you go through the Inkscape forum you will find lots of info and tutorials. Search Inkscape on YouTube and you will find videos.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ajk2004 »

tnbndr,
Thank you for your response. If you clicked on my .dxf file, you'll see what I did with ACAD. This is very easy for me to do. I guess I feel like inkscape might be easier to do more artistic work with, such as node editing, the weld function, etc... Inkscape is tough to learn, as is any CAD/Design software, but after watching videos online, I think I will have more capabilities with inkscape. For example, this bench back will be CNC cut, and I did it all in ACAD. In inkscape, I would like to customize it with names, artwork, etc... Maybe I just need to stick with one software, but I was just wondering if you can use DXF files with inkscape. That would solve my problems or at least help out. Thanks.
Andy
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here are somethings I found that may help. The drawing was made up of many lines that were not connected,as shown in the image as separate items shown with dashed boxes around them. I highlighted them by lassoing them and then went to the combine command and then object to path. But when saving them in both DXF and SVG and opening them in SheetCam there were still open lines in the top and back part. The last image shows saving in DXF did not work as the drawing was distorted, another case where programs don't play nice with each other. Another thing is to change the stroke width to 0.002" for a finer drawing for plasma cutting.
bench.jpg
bench.jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
bench 2.jpg
bench 2.jpg (12.33 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
bench 3.jpg
bench 3.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
bench 4.jpg
bench 6.jpg
bench 7.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ajk2004 »

Acourt,
That is what I am talking about. I didn't know if it was just me having these problems. ACAD and TMCAD work very well together, but so far, inkscape sucks for modifying and ACAD drawing. Is there something I am doing wrong in ACAD to get poor results in inkscape? Thanks.
Andy
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

ajk2004

I don't have the command sequence at hand right now. What you need to do for your closed paths is make sure that each path is a single polyline in ACAD speak. This can be done as one of the sub commands for editing polylines. For the most part Inkscape SVG files work really well for importing into Sheetcam, if you are using some other CAM program, TMCAD or direct import into the TM program then a DXF may work better. Usually the safest route when saving a DXF is to use the oldest format available. If you are skilled in using ACAD you shouldn't need to use Inkscape unless you want to use Sheetcam. I have used ACAD for years and it was a steep rough road when I started using Inkscape and Gcodetools (open source CAM). About the only thing the old version ACAD doesn't have that Inkspace does is the ability to do an auto trace on a bit map. The resulting paths are usually so bad that it is quicker to hand trace in most cases so there is no gain over ACAD using polylines.

John
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I don't use ACAD so I cannot comment, When I saved the same drawing from Inkscape in the SVG format it was fine other then some lines not being closed. This would result in a multi pierce cut or parts not dropping out at the end of the cut. These can be corrected in Inkscape by using the node tool to complete the cutting action when the lines are found to be open. ACAD is used by many here whom seem to be happy with it maybe someone will chime in with help for you. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

If you clicked on my .dxf file, you'll see what I did with ACAD
I couldn't open your file in my version of AutoCad, you must be using an recent version. One thing I always do when saving dxf files from Autocad is save them as Ver2000.dxf.
Also when drawing in autocad always use your snaps so that you don't end up with open ended segments. After drawing lines and arcs or tracing with the same. I use pedit to combine them into polylines. If you go to the Autocad software sections there is an explanation on how to do so.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

All my art items are created in Inkscape SVGs only. The SVGs are vector graphic files that have all lines connected (except a single line) All my CAD designs are done in Solidworks but saved as a DXF and sent to Sheetcam. AutoCAD is the same DXF type drawing which uses poly lines not always completely connected.

Return to “Inkscape”