SVG trace to DXF issue

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

SVG trace to DXF issue

Post by Gustav129 »

So, I hand trace a photo with "lines" in Inkskape. I save it as an SVG, to import into QCAD to make a DXF out of it.

When I open it in QCAD, I get "blocks" instead of lines. Basically an outline of each line. That requires me to do a lot of deleting of double lines. Is there a way to do just lines in Inkscape instead of lines being objects?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: SVG trace to DXF issue

Post by Capstone »

2 questions...

1. Are you using SheetCAM for g-code conversion?
2. Why aren't you importing the .svg file directly into SheetCAM? (NOTE: I used to say this was a no brainer, but lately, SheetCAM was updated and all of a sudden, the .svg import simply is not working too well. You now have to weld/lock/combine all of the elements of the drawing onto one layer otherwise SheetCAM will just scatter piece all over the place) But it is still better than converting it to DXF first.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

SVG is a complex file format that will hold all kinds of data and types of objects. Where as DXf only supports lines with no width other formats like EPS, SVG, AI and CDR support embedded bit maps, font styles , line types , bezier curves and colors. It depends on how the IMPORT (like in QCAD) handles all of the extra infomation.. You might try making all of the lines in the Inkscape drawing as "hairline" width. As Capstone siad you are causing yourself an extra step. Just import as an SVG into SheetCAM. It actually works better than a lot of DXF files. Evidently the import filter in SheetCAM ignores the attributes it does not need (like color, width , end types, etc)
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

Nothing about SheetCAM has been mentioned.

I use Shop Data Systems at work for CAM. I can only bring in DXF's or DWG, which is what SDS saves drawings with.

So at home, when I just play around as a hobby, I use Inkscape to trace pictures to save as SVG.

If I have an SVG silhouette, I skip Inkscape completely and go to QCAD for DXF.

The only time I have issues is if Inkscape is used at all to create an SVG. If I draw a line with the line tool, I get a box for an SVG outline.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi Gustav129

You can save Inkscape drawings as a DXF by using the File>Save As menu item. I find that saving in older DXF versions usually provides the most universal file in the end.

John
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I'm with islaner261, save it as a dxf from inkscape. I use Inkscape to convert SVG to dxf.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

I'll give that a try.
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

So I gave the "Save as DXF" a try. I got the same result.

The "first" picture is what I get, whether I import the SVG into QCad, or if I save it as a DXF in Inkscape, and opening the file in QCad.

The "Second" picture is the hand trace from the original Scout 80 photo, using line segment tool.

EDIT: The pictures uploaded in the reverse order than I expected
Attachments
Scout DXF Test.jpg
Scout 80 Inkscape.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

One thing you may want to do is go into the file and stroke menu and under stroke style reduce the width to 0.001" and click on the "in" in the box with the down arrow. One of the trace options will produce an inside and an outside line from the trace action I think it is the "edge detection".
If you go to the View menu and click on Display mode and then outline you will see how the traced item looks. If it has the inside/outside lines you can correct it by changing the trace function. BUT YOU MUST CHANGE THE VIEW BACK TO NORMAL before you leave Inkscape, if you don't you will see a box with an RED X when you try to import other thing.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »