Inkscape SVG files Seperating when imported into Sheetcam

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
GrainedMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Inkscape SVG files Seperating when imported into Sheetcam

Post by GrainedMetals »

Hey all,
Having an issue when i am opening SVG files in sheetcam that where created in Inkscape they are separating. the letters may be at the bottom left of the job in sheetcam, but the boarder will be at top instead of surrounding the letters. they drawing looks fine in Inkscape, but disconnected when imported into sheetcam. any ideas? does this make sense?

Thanks,

Patrick
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape SVG files Seperating when imported into Sheetcam

Post by acourtjester »

You may be having problems because you are not converting letters to a path after you can modified them.
After each step go to path and click on "object to path".
Simple check is click on the Node tool and move around you work if you have not converted it the path will show in red as you move around (very quickly the off). If your text is the normal state it will show in red as you typed it not how you changed it. This will let you know it has not be converted to a path yet.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
GrainedMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GrainedMetals »

Thank you acourtjester. all of the items import into sheetcam, the issue is they are scattered around all over the place, not where they should be when imported. for example if inkscape looks like this:
(textinsideborder)
when i import into sheetcam it may look like this:
( ) textinsideborder

all items show up in sheetcam and i can generate cut paths for everything they are just not aligned as they should be.

thanks,

Patrick
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I have had the same problem. My cure is not elegant or correct in the big picture but does work.

1. When I am finished with the Inkscape file I copy it to a new file with a new name. From now on I am using the new file.
2. Make sure all objects are converted to paths.
3. Put all cutting paths on the same layer.
4. Delete all other layers except the one that has the cut paths on it.
5. Use the Path>Combine command to combine all the paths. Fix the path directions as some will have changed.
6. Save the file.
7. Import the file into Sheetcam.
8. If everything is ok use the Contour tool to break cutting paths apart into logical layers before setting up your operations on each part and layer. If the import doesn't go well close Sheetcam and go back to Inkscape and make sure all cutting paths have been combined. You must close Sheetcam and restart it unless you change the name of the file, for some reason once a file is loaded into Sheetcam you have to restart Sheetcam to use the new file with the same name. This may have been fixed by now.

I don't know where the problem really is that requires this action but it does happen regularly to me. If Les sees this you can PM me for a more detailed description of what causes the problem for me, but this is the fix I use when it happens.

John
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

This problem started for me recently as well. It's a definitely a NEW problem

The only fix I've found is to "combine" all of the elements together. Pretty much what the previous post just said. I just haven't had the time or energy to tell anyone. It's a PITA and I too hope Les Newell will see what got broke on the last patch with .svg imports, because nothin has changed on Inkscape in maybe three years.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

HI Patrick
try uploading the screen shots again go to "full editor & preview" and load your images there using the add files bottom. Then after you have typed you text part click on enter to put the curser on the next line and then for each file name click on "Place inline" to add the image to the post. Hit enter again and add more images this puts each image on its own line, you can also select the order you place them in the post using the "place inline" botton.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
GrainedMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GrainedMetals »

Thank you for the responses. Isleander261's workaround does work. the problem i face now is getting more than one operation. i am trying to scribe the middle and cut the outside and that is a challenge when importing only one layer. any thoughts?

Thanks,

PHW
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Grained

Look at step 6 above.

Once you have imported the file into Sheetcam successfully use the Contour tool to make all the layers you want and move the cut paths to them.

Select Contour tool on tool bar. Right click on path you want to change layers on. You should get a drop down menu with choices, I always make a new "outside" layer for each part for the outside cut. Sheetcam will let you create many layers and you can have a unique operation for each layer.

John
GrainedMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by GrainedMetals »

John, thank you very much! You made my upcoming 3 day weekend! I opened up a case with Sheetcam, if there is a fix i will post there response. thanks all.

Cheers,

PHW
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Using islander261 method, I have a trick I use and that is when I have many things that I need to change layers for. I un-check that layer and each new selection disappears from the screen, that way I am sure I get them all. once I have all I want to change in that layer I check the layer back on and they are now back in view. I can move to another group I want to change layers and repeat for that new layer. I helps when you have lots of detail that you want to put on different layers.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

All

Sorry about the wrong step number, it should be step 8.

I second the use of the un-checking of the layer trick to help with getting all the paths (contours in Sheetcam) selected and moved. I was trying to keep things simple.

This whole problem caused me a lot of grief when it first surfaced, I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one it has effected. I sure hope this thread will spare others a bunch of head scratching.

John

Return to “Inkscape”