Parallel lines in Inkscape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Parallel lines in Inkscape

Post by tumbleweed »

Can anyone tell me how to convert lines (not enclosed objects) in an art project to parallel lines with a distance between them at my discretion. I have seen art work on this site with both the image with lines and same image with parallel lines. I have cut both and if the art work if large enough, the parallel lines look the best. Can I do this in Inkscape??
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Hypertherm 65 Machine Torch
Sheet Cam
Mach 3
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Parallel lines in Inkscape

Post by Gamelord »

I am not sure in Inkscape, but it is usually quite similar to Corel. In Corel, you would just copy and paste the line, and then use the positioning boxes on top to set the position of the newly pasted line to whatever distance you need it to be.

another way is to make a box that is the exact dimension (spacing) that you need the two lines apart by, draw the first line, move it so that it is on top of the box, then copy & paste the line and then move the newly pasted line (second one) to the bottom of the box, then delete the box.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tumbleweed »

Thanks Gamelord. I probably wasn't very clear, I want to draw (or convert existing) lines on the interior of, lets say a "horse". There would hardly ever be a straight line--just curves and arcs showing the body features. I have seen this on other peoples drawings. Looks neat cause you don't have all the pierce holes like you do on line ends. Any ideas?
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Sheet Cam
Mach 3
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Like Gamelord I'm not an Inkscape user but what I think you are wanting to do is done in CorelDraw using the "Contour Tool", I assume Inkscape has something similar. Put "contour" into the search and it should bring up how to instructions.
Murray
tumbleweed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by tumbleweed »

Thanks to all!!!
LDR 4x8 Water Table
Sheet Cam
Mach 3
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yup, use the contour tool. Inkscape should have something similar. If using Corel, here is a step-by-step I did for someone else.

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ool#p95530

More info and help here:
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14750
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Inkscape”