Another Struggling Newbie

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
barron10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Another Struggling Newbie

Post by barron10 »

First of all let me say how much I enjoy all of your advise and suggestions. I haven't ever posted on here for help, just for the simple fact I am stubborn and think I can figure it all out...LOL
I have been trying to learn Inkscape and think it is a pretty good program, but I am really struggling turning my designs into usable cut paths. I don't know if I am doing something wrong while I am designing or what. I have made several nice signs and cut great with a little clean up. It seems lately even with clean up when I import into sheet cam I get either ending line segments, white lines that should be cut outs, or if I place letters that will show up as lines and not cut outs or both lines and cutouts, etc... I am getting really frustrated that I can't get this to work and don't know where to turn other than ask for help. I have attached a file that I haven't finished but was designing for a friend who wants to buy some signs for a few local farmers. I haven't put the farm names in yet since I can't seem to even get my designs to work right. This file is untouched or "cleaned up" I would appreciate any advise or suggestions you may have that would help me. If you wouldn't mind to upload into your sheet cam and maybe this will give you a better idea of what I am asking.

Also when I get finished in inkscape, save as a dxf file and import it into Sheetcam the first time I always get extra lines that I have to then go back into inkscape open as a dxf, remove fill, reduce the stroke, and start removing the extra line segments to clean it up. Question is this normal clean up or is this a sign of something I am doing wrong during the design process?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!
Jeremy
Attachments
Oval Barn cow calf.dxf
(374.27 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Another Struggling Newbie

Post by acourtjester »

first off its good you tried and found where you have a problem and then asked for help.
That way the replies will make sense and be easier for you to understand.
Second save with SVG in Inscape as it will remove many of those lines you have in the DFX file you attached SheetCam will open both.
I think some of the roof line you have should be just a single line not a loop. When setting up in SheetCam to cut those just use no offset.
Sometime with a narrow loop you cannot used a lead-in or out as SheetCam will tell you it cannot cut them.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
barron10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by barron10 »

First of all thanks for a response acourtjester. I know I read somewhere on here that you can open an SVG straight into sheetcam and I thought great that will be so much easier, but when I tried it always opens it in a huge size. As far as I know I sized it correctly before saving the SVG?? I am not sure I know how to make a single line, but will give it a try on the roof line. Is there an easy way to add no offset to certain cuts, I have not mchanged much in sheetcam yet. Thank you kind Sir!
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sodfarmer »

One thing I noticed in inkscape is that the the default units are set to px. You can go under file and click on document properties and set default units to in or whatever your using. This way whatever you draw is in the units you need. For me I put all items I want with no offset on their own layer, this way I can specify in Sheetcam what I want cut with no offset. Hope this helps.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

As Sodfarmer said you can setup Inkscape by clicking on file drop down menu and click on Document Properties and at the top in default units menu select inches or what you want. Also in SheetCam with SVG files just change the ratio 1 to some number this allows you to change the size of the drawing there. You can measure it with the curser and the size will display at the bottom.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
barron10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by barron10 »

I have adjusted to inches and also document size of work space. I have noticed it always defaults back each time I use Inkscape. I will try the adjustments in sheet can for SVG import.

What do you all look for in the drawings before you go to sheet cam? I cut something yesterday or well attempted to cut. Started out good but half way in torch fired but seemed weaker didn't burn all way thru and torch wouldn't move. I thought the file looked good in sheet am, but obviously must have had some incomplete line segments or something. It went down hill from there. I was able to finish the cut, by manipulating in Mach. Just more fun to work thru...lol Thanks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What I have done is open both sheetcam and inkscape so I can see the lines in sheetcam and the in inkscape I zoom in and see why they are there. to zoom center what you want to see and the hit the + key to back out hit the - key. See attached image as to where the lines are. Sometime you can highlight them and delete them. It seems this image was drawn and did not have connecting line where you wanted the to be inkscape may be trying to connect them in the saving to DXF not sure why or if that is right.
barn.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I would add that if you set the Stroke Style thickness to .040 (inches) for 30amp consumables or .063 (inches) for 45amp consumables, you'll get very close to the width of the kerf of the actual cuts. This should help immensely during the design phase to eliminate cuts that compromise the piece in any number of ways.

Also, you'll want to take a blank Inskscape document and adjust all the defaults to inches etc and then save that file as a template and besure to use "save as" the first time you put a new design into that initial template for use later.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
barron10
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by barron10 »

Thank you both for taking time to answer my questions and guidance. I will take this info and try to apply it and see whAt happens.

Return to “Inkscape”