Newbie needs help

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Newbie needs help

Post by Kibby »

I tried importing a bit map into Inkscape which worked fine, went throught the steps to vectorize it which seemed to go alright now when I load it in sheetcam I have a question how do I get my layers to do the inside and outside cuts? I am using an LDR motion system table. When I tried opening it in autocadd it did not have any curves it was all angles. Why does this happen?
Probably dumb questions but I'm stuck.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie needs help

Post by acourtjester »

This how I do it on the top there is an icon with an arrow and C click on it this opens the contour selection. As you move your curser over the drawing any inside shapes will change color of the lines. If it is a large section you will see how it is shaped. Right click on the mouse and it brings up a menu and you will see move to layer. Click on it and then name you inside layer or what you want to call it. If you do not see the new layer in the top left box (parts) then click on the layer tool see attached image. To keep the marked layer apart un-check the check box next to the new named layer this will blank out that layer. This way you will see what is left to put into that layer. As each contour you put into that layer is will blank out too. Keep doing this until you have marked all you want on that layer. Repeat using a new layer name for other contours you want of move to another cut operation. When you have completed all the layering go back and re-click the layers you have un-clicked before so you can see them when you plan the cutting operation. The in the operations window you just select the layer you want to cut first and all those in the named layer will be cut as directed.

I have broken up drawing like this so I could cut all the inside cuts as a single operation. Then moved on to another operation cutting other layer selections again as a single operation or other job using sheetcam’s groupings.
layer tool.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Newbie needs help

Post by Kibby »

Thank you very much for that explanation. Well written and very clear. I will give that a try

Return to “Inkscape”