Looking for help to Re-Scale DXF files

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
goldwinger
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Looking for help to Re-Scale DXF files

Post by goldwinger »

I have problems importing, Opening DXF files into Inkscape and being able to view them,
I seem to have either a very small image that can not be made out or nothing at all.
I have read many times people say bring it into Inkscape and resize it but no matter what I try I come up short !!!
Any suggestions or tips ? do I need other software to do this ? willing to try anything that will work.

Thanks in Advance
Goldwinger / Ken
Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45
Mach 3, Sheet Cam
Inkscape, Paint.net
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Looking for help to Re-Scale DXF files

Post by Old Iron »

Post the file so one of us can help
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

What I have found is SVG is Inkscape's native format and bringing in DXF can be a problem, even if you saved it when leaving Inscape and saving it using their DXF selection. If you want to make changes to a file later save it in Inscape's format.
format.jpg
format.jpg (14.67 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Then it works fine to open it again, if you are not going to change it their standard SVG of DXF will work fine going on the SheetCam. I have used QCAD to open DXF file and then save them to then be opened in Inkscape with the correct size. I have found to bring in a file open or import may work better then the other :(
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
goldwinger
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by goldwinger »

It's not only a single file, But I want to learn how to do this or what program should I be looking at that will make it really easy to open a DXF file and be able to either enlarge or decrease the existing size, Also I want to learn how to make changes in a existing DFX file , like change a name, or an address
Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45
Mach 3, Sheet Cam
Inkscape, Paint.net
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

goldwinger wrote:It's not only a single file, But I want to learn how to do this or what program should I be looking at that will make it really easy to open a DXF file and be able to either enlarge or decrease the existing size, Also I want to learn how to make changes in a existing DFX file , like change a name, or an address
Most simple CAD programs are better than drawing programs at opening DXF since its a CAD format. There are several Free CAD prgrams for Windows and/or LINUX. For doing simple things like moving , scaling, rotating and some light editing a CAD program is fine. For doing drawings and artistic (decorative) cuts CAD can be really frustrating. Most CAD programs will open most DXF versions and allow you to export/save in several DXF versons. You will find older export version work better with the drawing programs. Export from programs like CorelDraw, Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator in DXF format is less than optimal and arc/circles are sent out "segmented" as lots of tiny straight lines. The SVG export out of Inkscape and later versions of Coreldraw are not that way and send arcs, arc segments and polylines intact and ready to cut.

Return to “Inkscape”