Cutmaster 82 W/ Automation kit and Mach 3 Connections HELP!!

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
jjs4x4
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Cutmaster 82 W/ Automation kit and Mach 3 Connections HELP!!

Post by jjs4x4 »

Hello everyone! This is my first of many posts to this great forum.

I am having some trouble finding info on how to hook up my cutmaster 82 to my plasma table. I just installed the automation kit into my plasma but not sure as to where to connect the wires coming out of it. And then changing the settings in Mach 3. I have never ran this table yet, I bought it from a local guy that builds them but honestly he really has no clue on how to run it, yeah my mistake.

Also there are 2 wires coming out from the automation kit that say "DIVIDED ARC VOLTS" is this some sort of torch height control and if so how can I connect and confirgure that in Mach 3??

I'm including a picture of my breakout board to show the open pins.

Thanks for the helps guys!!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jjs4x4
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Cutmaster 82 W/ Automation kit and Mach 3 Connections HELP!!

Post by jjs4x4 »

Anyone?? I'm really stumped on this one. I have been searching day and night trying to find some info on this and nothing. Am I in the wrong thread for this question? Please move it if I am.

Thanks!
Jason
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You do not say where the electronics were made for your machine.....Mach3 is software, so you won't be connecting any wires there! Likely your machine has electronics and maybe a height control system from www.candcnc.com . If so, a call to them (or read their detailed manual) will hel you out.

The divided arc volatage is a voltage divider that divides the arc voltage (probably 50:1) which is used for feedback in a plasma torch height control......which you may have bought with your machine.

If you provide a little more detail of the equipment you are using...many on here could help! I'll help even though you did not buy a Hypertherm...although if you did it would be a simple plug and play connection!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jjs4x4 wrote:Anyone?? I'm really stumped on this one. I have been searching day and night trying to find some info on this and nothing. Am I in the wrong thread for this question? Please move it if I am.

Thanks!
Jason
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

There are three signals on the TD divider board....

Divided arc voltage - This connects to your THC. The jumper on the divider board that sets the divider ratio has to be set to whatever the THC is designed to use....Usually 50:1 on the hobby oriented electronics and 30:1 on the industrial electronics. Depends on what the THC uses as a reference voltage.

Torch on/off - This is a dry contact. When these two terminals are shorted together the torch lights. They should be connected to a relay that is triggered by Mach3.

ArcOK - This is a dry contact relay inside the plasma. When you have good arc transfer, this relay closes. These two wires should go to an input on the BOB.

How all of this gets mapped in Mach3 depends on which terminals you're using on the BOB. Who made the BOB, drives, THC (if any)? That's a difficult thing to help with unless you're in front of the machine.
I'll help even though you did not buy a Hypertherm...although if you did it would be a simple plug and play connection!
It's a simple plug and play connection with your TD as well. In fact, the pin-out on the CNC interface cable is exactly the same. The TD and Hypertherm interface cables are interchangeable. Both machines have the same three signals used in the same way.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”