Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter Arc Pak 5XT

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
sodfarmer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter Arc Pak 5XT

Post by sodfarmer »

I have a chance to buy a Thermal Arc PAK 5XT plasma cutter that isn't working. I was wanting to know if anyone has had any experience with one of these. Such as: cut thickness, reliability, overall good or bad. The seller says that it won't stike an arc. I know this is hard to trouble shoot, but has anyone had this problem? I plan on trying to buy it CHEAP. I have a Hypertherm 1000 on my table, but it would be nice to have an extra plasma cutter for hand cutting.

Thanks
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter

Post by srp »

I had a pak 5 XR 3 phase 240v dual gas set using air on both. I used it many years and it worked great. The arc start is a Hi freq and requires good shielding for your control system. Let me know if you get it working and I will check out misc. parts & pieces I might have kicking around to give you. John
Pay1920
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter Arc Pak 5XT

Post by Pay1920 »

I also have a pak5xt that will not start an arc did you get yours running or is it still dead like mine. The contacts were set at about .035 and the manual suggest .022. But I also read it they are too close it would cause it not to create the nice blue spark. I made this adjustment before I found a wire disconnected from the push button on the torch, should I set the points back the way before I found the wire broken
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter Arc Pak 5XT

Post by srp »

I adjusted mine to specs one time and left it there. Worked fine

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”