Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter issue

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
plasmaspaz
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter issue

Post by plasmaspaz »

hello,

I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101 plasma cutter on a 4x8 cnc plasma cutting table and I am having problems with the plasma cutter.

I came in this morning, turned on the plasma cutter and it constantly pulses air on and off and will do nothing else. It worked fine yesterday.

I have called Thermal Dynamics Tech support and was unable to get in touch with a tech and awaiting a call back.

Can someone help me on this topic?

Thanks
Plasmaspaz
admin
Site Admin

Re: plasma cutter issue

Post by admin »

I have seen that problem many times before. My guess is that you changed your plasma tip and electrode before leaving the shop yesterday and came in this morning and found this problem.

This will happen if you do not have your plasma tip, electrode, and start cartridge properly installed in the cutting torch. I suggest you remove the shield cup and plasma consumables and then reinstall them taking care to get them properly installed.

This should solve your problem. If not them let me know. :mrgreen:

admin
plasmaspaz

Re: Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter issue

Post by plasmaspaz »

hello,
That worked perfect. Thanks a million. That was faster than getting manufacturer tech support.

Thanks
Plasmaspaz :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, glad to help.

admin
hotoky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by hotoky »

hi im new at the machine i have a cnc model dhc 510 //with a thermal dynamics cut master 101 . i have been cutting for about 6 weeks everything was working great and all of a sudden when it started to do the peirce it raised up hi . i tryed it over and over again resetting the cutting height and also manualy bringing it down but it keeps going back up .i have worked on this for a while any kind of advice will help
thank you
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fountaine »

Did you ever get an answer to your question?

The same thing happened to me today.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

hotoky wrote:hi im new at the machine i have a cnc model dhc 510 //with a thermal dynamics cut master 101 . i have been cutting for about 6 weeks everything was working great and all of a sudden when it started to do the peirce it raised up hi . i tryed it over and over again resetting the cutting height and also manualy bringing it down but it keeps going back up .i have worked on this for a while any kind of advice will help
thank you
Are you using the shield cap or an unshielded tip? The shield caps on TD torches can cause issues with THC units. If the tip wears slightly the arc can short partially to the shield cap which causes your tip voltage to decrease which causes the THC to run the torch up. Basically, when the arc goes to the shield cap, the tip voltage is reading the distance from the tip to the cap, which is very short. The THC thinks it is much closer than it really is and goes up. It keeps going up because with the tip volts reading to the cap, not the material, the tip volts never changes, even though the torch is rising.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”