cutting 16g with A60?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cutting 16g with A60?

Post by Dustan »

was wondering if someone could tell me what they cut 16gand14g at for setting volts speed height tips ect ect.I have been running it at 40 amps 80ipm and kerf width at 0.08 but am burning threw on lots of places in intricate drawings any help or ideas would be great. :idea:
Krazy Kutz metal designs
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cutting 16g with A60?

Post by srp »

I don't have the same plasma machine however I probably have a similar torch. Mine is SL100 (?). My torch holder is a pnuematic floating head with ball casters. All of my cutting is with 18 - 16 Ga galvanealled. When I use a 30 amp tip my rate is 85-90 ipm. 40 amp tip the setting is 105-110 ipm. Amperage of machine is set to tip amperage. Peirce height and cut standoff is 1/8". I set my kerf offset to ..03 - .06..06 is my standard. This is a figure I play with to achieve larger outside cuts and smaller inside ones. On text it will give you a bolder appearance. If you are cutting hot rolled bear in mind there is alot of crap out there and some of it will never cut good. Be attentive when your machine starts cutting bad. Back track to someting you might have just changed. Might be a clue.
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

thanks SRP your torch holder sounds cool must be fancy one the kerf width seems to be my biggest challenge these days im not sure how exactly i should be measuring it so its correct i just been measuring it with calipers and punchin in the number i get 1/16th of an inch for a kerf with 30 amp tip 65ipm seems to look like a really nice cut maybe a little slow but correct me if im wrong but what you are trying to say is that you can sort of lie about the kerf to make interior holes smaller and outside cuts bigger??
Krazy Kutz metal designs
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

I am able to set the offset for my kerf allowance on my controller. The width you measured of 1/16th in. is probably right. the orifice opening in the tips are about .030 and the kerf ends up being about 2 times the opening. If your control asks for the kerf width it most likely compensates the torch position to give accurate part sizes when cut. It is good to have the setting correct. But play around with increasing and decreasing the setting. I think that inceasing the kerf width will have the torch offset more inside and outside.
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

dustin ,what do you have your voltage set at and what is you cut height set at... these are important settings to get good cut quality...
Cashinez
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cashinez »

I use the cutmaster 82 and cut at a rate of 114 ipm for a real nice cut at 40 amps. But I have always has slag???I have messed with all settings including air pressures, tips ect.... I am cutting 11 and 14 ga CR steel, kerf at .03-.06, .045 height.
Any help would be great.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

Cashinez- One thing you might check is the number on your 40a tip. TD has 2 different ones for the torch. PN 9-8208 is the one for mechanized cutting. This will provide the best possible cut in your situation. The other tip (?) 9-8207 is for drag cutting. Big difference in quality! I use a cutting height of .125 for gauge material. Heavier material I go with 3/16" standoff plus piece delay. Attached is a link to the TD info and scroll down and you will find the cutting tables. You shoud be able to achieve virtual slag free results. http://thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_2219_0-4979.pdf. I will also add that in the past I have run into slag issues when the quality of the HR steel was bad. With bad material there was nothing I could do to get a good cut. If you are using CR this might not be an issue. Hopefully others will add from their experience. - John
Cashinez
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Cashinez »

Thanks John, I will check and see which tips, I believe I am using the corrcet setup but will post to see if we can figure it out. I have been dealin with it for about a year. It is not so bad but keep dreamin of slag free.
Tony

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”