TD-Difference between shielded and exposed tips?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

TD-Difference between shielded and exposed tips?

Post by Scratch »

What is the difference between Thermal Dynamics shielded, versus exposed consumables? And when would you want to use one over the other?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: TD-Difference between shielded and exposed tips?

Post by Brand X »

Low amp drag nozzles like the 9-8205/06/07 can only be used un-shielded.. The rest can be used either way,, Mostly longer life using the correct shields/cup, over a exposed setup. Now using the exposed on the hand torch will give you the very best template following/view of the cut line.
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Mr. Fixit »

I don't mean to hijack this post, so I apologize. I had posted this same question in the general area on the forum and just found this post. I had done some research elsewhere the other day and now see that the reply here is the same. I have always used the exposed tips and see in the manual online that the shield caps are generally used for "thicker material". Thicker is somewhat subjective too. I am using an SL 100 torch which I purchased separately and can't seem to find good cut charts. If anyone can direct me, that would be great. My machine is older and came with an SL 60 originally and it seems that the set points are different.

Thank you,

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Bridgeport 2J Mill - Fagor Dro
Southbend 14" x 40" EVS Lathe - Fagor Dro
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
Harig 612 Surface Grinder
Euclid933
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Euclid933 »

I have been using an SL100 machine torch on an Esab LPH 80. I only used shielded nozzles and it cut good in the 60 to 80A range. I used to cut 3mm to 15mm plate.
To start I used the basic cutting speed settings that came with the power source, then did a series of test cuts above and below the original cutting speed to find a nice cut. Couldn't fault it once it was tuned in. My only reason to upgrade was the low duty cycle of the LPH80 when cutting 15mm.
I used the gas pressure setting details that came with the SL100 torch. The only problem I had with it was having to replace the shield and retaining
cap after having a couple of crashes, but that was a learning curve for me :-)
Regards,
William
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Euclid933 wrote:I have been using an SL100 machine torch on an Esab LPH 80. I only used shielded nozzles and it cut good in the 60 to 80A range. I used to cut 3mm to 15mm plate.
To start I used the basic cutting speed settings that came with the power source, then did a series of test cuts above and below the original cutting speed to find a nice cut. Couldn't fault it once it was tuned in. My only reason to upgrade was the low duty cycle of the LPH80 when cutting 15mm.
I used the gas pressure setting details that came with the SL100 torch. The only problem I had with it was having to replace the shield and retaining
cap after having a couple of crashes, but that was a learning curve for me :-)
Regards,
William
William,

Thank you for the reply, it is helpful. I have only used the exposed 40 A tips thus far and have been cutting thinner material (16 GA and 11 G).
My SL 100 was purchased as an accessory and didn't come with any cutting charts, so I have been using the original manual that came with my CutMaster 52 and SL 60 torch and adjusting from there by hit and miss. If you could share any cut charts for the SL 100, that would be awesome as I haven't been able to find one that makes sense. I did speak with tech support some time ago during the time that ESAB owned TD (I believe) and now it is owned by Victor. The person that I had spoken with seemed less than familiar with the SL 100 torch. Maybe I should try that again since it has been a while.

Thanks again..

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

There are no real good factory settings overall for the 40 amp nozzles.. Shielded or non-shielded. Most the time they run slower then the book says,and might benefit from a closer cut height setting then some of the books say.. Try running 35 amps on some things,and that is all can do Use your own setting, and call it good..
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Brand X wrote:There are no real good factory settings overall for the 40 amp nozzles.. Shielded or non-shielded. Most the time they run slower then the book says,and might benefit from a closer cut height setting then some of the books say.. Try running 35 amps on some things,and that is all can do Use your own setting, and call it good..
Funny that you say that. Over my short life experience with a plasma table, I have found exactly that to be the case. I am now using a small test file of various shapes (hex, round, square and straight lines) in order to find the best cut quality settings for a given material. Much better that toasting a sheet $$$. :shock: In Sheetcam, it seems that there is no ability to create a tool with amperage less than 45, so I assume that you are referring to simply turning down the machine to 35, or whatever works best, correct?

Thanks,

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

You can edit the post to allow lower settings. One of the posts I was using had two numbers in the post swapped and wouldn't allow lower settings. Maybe that is what is wrong with your post.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Euclid933

Post by Euclid933 »

Steve,
Is your torch 25' or 50' lenth, the 50' torch runs a higher gas pressure +5 PSI if I remember correctly.
In the 10 years I ran the SL100 I never used 40A Nozzles, only 60A and 80A. Torch height was set around 3mm on 80A. It produced a nice cut
between the 10 - 15mm range.
I used the 60A nozzle on 3 to 8mm, little closer on the torch height, about 2mm. Produced a nice cut on the 5 - 8mm plate, bevel angle wasn't so important because most of my work was producing fishing fleet numbers, names and port of registry, for a steel boat building yard.
I never cut less than 3mm, but for 40A I'd set up just as others have suggested. Try around 1.5mm torch height, set to 40A on power source and try cutting a series of lines about 100mm long. Start the first line about 300mm/min slower than the cut chart with the power source, then the next line 100mm/min faster, then cut chart speed, then +100mm/min etc, etc. You will find the best cutting speed, hopefully. Just take time and steel.

Regards,
William
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Mr. Fixit »

djreiswig wrote:You can edit the post to allow lower settings. One of the posts I was using had two numbers in the post swapped and wouldn't allow lower settings. Maybe that is what is wrong with your post.

Are you saying that I can edit the post in sheetcam? How is this accomplished? When I set up a tool in Sheetcam and select anything lower than 45 Amps (which it will allow me to do), it reverts back to 45 regardless.

Thank you,

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
Mr. Fixit
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Euclid933 wrote:Steve,
Is your torch 25' or 50' lenth, the 50' torch runs a higher gas pressure +5 PSI if I remember correctly.
In the 10 years I ran the SL100 I never used 40A Nozzles, only 60A and 80A. Torch height was set around 3mm on 80A. It produced a nice cut
between the 10 - 15mm range.
I used the 60A nozzle on 3 to 8mm, little closer on the torch height, about 2mm. Produced a nice cut on the 5 - 8mm plate, bevel angle wasn't so important because most of my work was producing fishing fleet numbers, names and port of registry, for a steel boat building yard.
I never cut less than 3mm, but for 40A I'd set up just as others have suggested. Try around 1.5mm torch height, set to 40A on power source and try cutting a series of lines about 100mm long. Start the first line about 300mm/min slower than the cut chart with the power source, then the next line 100mm/min faster, then cut chart speed, then +100mm/min etc, etc. You will find the best cutting speed, hopefully. Just take time and steel.

Regards,
William
William,

My torch is 25'. I will do as you have suggested with the various settings and see where it takes me.

Thanks again,

Steve
4' x 4' DIY Table
CandCNC Bladerunner
Miller Vintage 250 Mig
Miller Syncro 180 Tig
Brook 18" Metal Shaper
Euclid933

Post by Euclid933 »

I'll have a look today, If I get chance, for the details of setup that came with my torch. It may help you with some basic setting up.
Mine is about 10 - 12 years old, so I don't know if there has been any changes to the torch since then.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”