Thermal Dynamics PAK Master 25 PROBLEM

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
sapwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics PAK Master 25 PROBLEM

Post by sapwood »

I have a problem with this PAK 25. When i turn it on and plug air into it, it it gives air thru to gun immediately and stays that way rgeardless of what i do. The air just dont stop.
Now if I try to get cutting i can get a momentary arc and a quick plasma spurt for a millisecond but it wont maintain a plasma to cut, just cuts out.
Now the machine sequence says turn it on, then press the RUN/SET switch to SET and air will flow whilst you set regulator PSI. Then switch back to RUN and air should stop. Well mine doesnt, it just blows air constantly.
Now I know this points straight away towards a faulty air pressure switch, ive shown some pics of it and ive done some basic tests of it with machine off, there is no continuity thru it with my meter, which i thought i would get if this switch is stuck engaged.
Ive you yet tested the cutoff solenoid as i havent got a 24-60dcv source to do so, but i will source a couple of car batteries monday and parrallel them to get my 24vdc to test it opening/closing.
Also regarding the presure switch itself I intend on putting it back in the machine and tunring the machine on to see if it activates with the machine power, if it does then god knows where my pcb problem may be. Im hoping the switch is fine and this is just a problem solenoid, but the solenoid is showing resistance at 14.9 on my meter when meter is set to 200ohm range. Im guessing this is showing that its fine coil wise, but looking at the state of the corrosion within the inside of the pipes it couold be that the solenoid is stuck open with corrosion. BUT!!!! surely constant air flowing shouldnt be the cause of this millisecond arc from the torch when i pull the trigger... Surely the arc would fire up and stay running despite airflow stuck open?????
IM HOPING YOU GUYS COULD WEIGHT IN WITH SOME ADVICE????
WP_20180224_018.jpg
WP_20180224_020.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics PAK Master 25 PROBLEM

Post by weldguy »

I used to use Thermal Dynamics and remember that happened to me in the past. I believe the problem ended up being the consumables were not installed in the torch correctly, or bad consumables.
sapwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sapwood »

Thanks for your reply budd.. They look ok, I cant understand why i get constant airflow as soon as air is plugged into machine. something just twigged with me today and im going to try plugging in air and seeing if the air flows with machine off, this will tell me if the solenoid air valve is goosed or not, as if the air opens up when machine switches on it must be a control/sensor issue. If air flows immediately even with machine switched off then i would deff say my solenoid valve is toast. 'Which will get me a start at least.
But cant understand why i can manage to get a tiny momentary arc, dont cut much at all, just flashes up and dies as quick as it comes.
Heres a picture of torch and consumable fitted, its all i got at present as ive not yet ordered any.
WP_20180226_003.jpg
WP_20180226_005.jpg
WP_20180226_021.jpg
WP_20180226_015.jpg
WP_20180226_014.jpg
WP_20180226_012.jpg
WP_20180226_011.jpg
WP_20180226_009.jpg
WP_20180226_008.jpg
WP_20180226_006.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I believe the air has to stop flowing a tiny bit before the arc can transfer from pilot to cutting arc..
sapwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sapwood »

All I get is a machine thats constantly blowing air from second i plug air in, im yet to try to see if this is same if i plug air in with machine off or whether its constant flow or does it start flowing from moment i switch machine on, this will tell me if solenoid is screwed or not at least, and thats a start of sorts.
But! All i remember of the arc is that when i press torch trigger i get a click and a momentary arc, which is difficult to even get that, I have to touch the work a particular way when pressing trigger and 90% of time i get nothing, with a little finesse I can press the trigger whilst lifting from the work and by timing it just right and can just about get a momentary second or more arc then i loose it. I havent tried new consumables, i just have one
Would this kind of difficulty obtaining an arc indicate consumable change time? or are these problems elsewhere

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”