Cutmaster 151

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cutmaster 151

Post by mike66 »

Any help would be appreciated, I have a Cutmaster 151 in excellent shape that stopped cutting the other day. I took it in to my local WESCO and the Tech told me that the IGBT transistor was bad and that it wasn't made any more . I feel sure that someone somewhere still makes something that will work .Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cutmaster 151

Post by Scratch »

I've been using a 151 for like 10 years. It finally went kaput last spring. Luckily... TD has a trade in program and they gave me $1000.00 in trade on a new one. I ended up going down to a Cutmaster 85 since I realized I just don't cut that thick of material anymore.
Too bad you couldn't find the one I traded in. It probably had a good part you could have used...
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Try EBAY, the Chinese vendors there have save my rear many times for old odd ball transistors and ICs used in old CNC controllers.

John
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

An IGBT "transistor" is a large 3" square power device. There are probably two (or more . There should be a part number on them Be sitting down when you get the retail proce of that part. The question would be which one is bad. Hypertherm has the IGBT's listed in their parts list and has replacement kits. Wile THAT IGBT may not be made any more but there should be one with equal or better specs that could be used to replace it. You can run them in parallel for more power or there are larger IGBT that can handles hundreds of Amps at high voltages/
mike66
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by mike66 »

Thank y'all for the help, Scratch ,I'm definitely going to check into your suggestion and tcaudle, the tech told me there were two of them and I found some companies selling them,although I haven't looked up a # on the actual part yet, they listed for around $600 each which would push me to buy a new cutter .

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”