thermal dynamics 100xl

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
rbrintle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

thermal dynamics 100xl

Post by rbrintle »

hi, im almost finished with a cnc plasma table build and ready to connect plasma machine, my question is , i have a thermal dynamics 100xl machine that cuts great , will it work ok with my table ? i have heard yes and no and am getting opinions .

my machine has pilot arc but started by high frequency .

thanks
robert brintle
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: thermal dynamics 100xl

Post by tcaudle »

It all depends on what you are using for controls and how well you can get things grounded . HF start is noisy but a 100 Amp machine cutting at high current generates a lot of EMI too. All you can do is hook it up and start the hunt for the "Noise Ghosts".
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

80 amps max... 100Xl = 1 inch thick/ 38XL = 3/8, and so forth..
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

We have integrated many high frequency with 100% success. What you want to do is make sure the position of controllers and cable are far away and not crossing over any torch lead or work clamp coming from your plasma. You also want to make sure you have proper shielding over those cables and all components come to the the same ground plate. The path of least resistance wins when your messing with HF plasma. This means your ground should be on the frame of your machine at the same place your work lead from the plasma goes to and that the ground be as short as possible and the earth ground from the frame to earth have very little resistance. Use only one and test it. Using those simple methods you can use even the most simple control designs. But when you fall from that method and have an issue their is nobody that is going to jump to your rescue. The 100XL pakmaster is severely antiquated machinery. As such control boards are no longer made. I don't even know if you can still get consumables.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”