Off Brand Torch for Cutmaster 52?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Off Brand Torch for Cutmaster 52?

Post by mikeysp »

Are plasma torches interchangeable or easily modified to work on other machines?

I purchased a used Thermal Dynamics, Cutmaster 52.....Radnor version. Little did I know that Air-Gas company had contracted Thermal Dynamics to make a cutmaster with a proprietary torch so the only consumables available are from AirGas. After I spent a bit of money on tips, electrodes, cartridge, etc arrived, they did not work. This is how I found out that I had some odd model with more expensive consumables.

Thank you,

-Mike
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Off Brand Torch for Cutmaster 52?

Post by Brand X »

You will only see one aftermarket torch that will work with the cutmaster.. It took a long time to get around the ATC patent, but Thermacut has done it.. Best just find a SL-60 torch on Ebay..You can change the head out on your Radnor MC-60 torch to make it a SL-60.. Another good option
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I have modified my torch to use Hypertherm consumables. They really last a long time and aren't that expensive when purchased in quantity on line. You can find the story here:

http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f ... nken+torch

Now to update this story. I have removed the torch mounted solenoid for good. I had an interaction with the power supply firmware (Thermaldynamics A-60) that would randomly cause a "shorted torch" error even when there wasn't one. It took a long with Victor tech support to get to the bottom of it. It has something to do with wanting to stop the torch operation if the shield touches the work piece. This is only active when the "automation" torch (one with solenoid) is attached, removing the solenoid disables this feature. I am not sure if this feature is active in the Cutmaster series of power supplies. I have also hacked my old blue screen AVHC to use ohmic sensing (CandCNC Feathertouch) of the plate surface. Vast improvement in pierce and cut height accuracy. Short version of story is that I am very happy with the performance of the Franken Torch.

John
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The shielded consumables are not conductive to anything going to the torch. Not on my torch anyway.. The tip is, but it does not touch the shield at any time. Are you using the un-shielded 9-8218 cup?

I get excellent consumable life with my one torch. I have both the Hypertherm 65, and Cutmaster 82(A-60 now) Sl-100 SV torch on my table.. I would never change out the ft end of the SL-100 torch, with the Hypertherm stuff. I use a quality slide, and spring pressure for my table, and it works perfect for me. It's all in the application in how you setup your system, as to if it works or not.. I can cut.035 without one issue..I have removed my Hypertherm 65 from my table, because I can cut anything as well as I need with the Victor. Works awesome..Victor has new consumables coming out for their new machine. Might want to wait for properly designed consumables, by the people that understand their machine..

The standard torch..SL-40/SL-60/SL-100 works with any power supply, the SL-100 SV works with any A series machines, and Standard Cutmasters 52 thru the 152 with the Automation card..

There is one major reason Thermal dynamics uses a start cartridge setup, that Jim Colt failed mention in the other post. It was to make the one torch a universal torch to work on many machines.High Freq, Blow back style That was a major reason and why there is more one torches then any other torch made. It was a smart move.. If they did not think it was a good Idea, then they would of not built the SL-40 torch the way they did.. Patent was up by then..Thermal also did not want the movable electrode either. So it was a good way to keep the electrode fixed..

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

BrandX, I have the 64006515 cup on my MC60 torch. When I purchased the Cutmaster 52 (Radnor) a year ago, the only consumables I could find were at AirGas and it was almost $100 for 5tips and 5 electrodes delivered. I was very pleased to discover 5tips and 5electrodes on ebay today for $50 delivered from a company called Plasmadyn.

Reference your pictures:
The .375 cut is incredible. Looks like a laser cut it. On an aside, since I am building a CNC Table here are a few questions for you:
Why do you have a second torch zip tied to the top of your machine?
What is the blue line going to? Sensor?
Why is it on a different slide?
Why do you have airlines connected to the neumatic slide? Do you operate it with air instead of gravity? Why?
What THC do you use?

Thanks,

-Mike.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Mike,
I had one in the cable carrier ,and one above the machine. One to a victor, and one to a Hypertherm.. One of them is a back up,depending how I feel.Just changed over to the Victor in the carrier yesterday. Put the Hyper away for a bit..

The blue airline goes to my Dotco Scribe. Yes, two way action on the air slide.The Dotco floats on it's mini slide. The air slide is hooked solid to the Z carriage and does not go up and down with the z screw. Simple is where I was at. Works perfect.. I took the bungee cord off the air slide, and put a spring to hold it up yesterday. If I don't have air going to it, it can drift down if I push on it . Needs no springs/qravity, just air to make things function.

I have the CandCNC Hybrid 3100 THC . Meaning the THC works outside of mach 3..but still runs one Parallel cable for the other Axis. Ethernet on the THC..

The Plasmadyn. consumables will probably suck bad.(had some for another torch I had) They really can't make a nozzle from China that works very well..Probably do OK with the Electrodes. There are so many Victor clone knockoffs, that it hard to tell what is what sometimes.. Comes in factory packages. One way to tell is the nozzles blow out right now.. What you need to do is look for a old SL-60/100 torch, and put that head in your Radnor.. Probably could do it for around $100.00 Might even find a deal on a original head SL-60 head ready to go.. Best option..Once and a while a new torch will slip through ebay for a song.. Could get any back end, and use the head.. I bought brand new torches for about $200.00 That would be turn key, and then you could get the real killer deals on Ebay for the SL-60 torch.. Like $10 for five 60 amp tips, and $15.00 for electrodes.(real factory stuff) Best deal in Plasma cutting if you shop right.

That cut was with 55 amp tips, The 50/55 are a nice option along with the 70 amp tips for my cutmaster.. Fine tune the cut just right sometimes. The makeup of the steel has a huge affect on the cut face. Night, and day sometimes, and often overlooked. 3/8 is a nice range for the 45 amp Hypertherm nozzles too. :) The Cutmaster Machines take a long time to master, but are very nice once you do.. Keep the amps as low as you can to control bevel, and cut face quality. It will have less of a range where things line up compared to newer design torches, but cut quality can be superb also.. The Radnor/Victor 52 is a good machine,and will do what you need if you do your part.. I look at the Cutmaster as the Chevy, and the Hypertherm as the Cadillac. Meaning both will get you to the dance just fine.. :)

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”