My TD151 took a dump on me.

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

My TD151 took a dump on me.

Post by Scratch »

So about a month ago I fired up my Thermal Dynamics 151 and I saw big flashes of light, and pops coming from the side of it. And obviously... It won't work now. The fan still comes on, along with the LED's, but it won't start cutting when I pull the trigger. I pulled the cover off and the circuit boards look clean, it's never gotten wet either. I did see some possible evidence of sparking though. There's no fuse anywhere near where I saw the flashing coming from. It's gotta be 15 years old.

I'd be up for switching to Hypertherm, but I already have a ton of consumables, both a hand torch and a machine torch for my table, so I'd like to just replace the unit with the exact model or get it repaired. I guess I don't really need something as large as a 151 since the toughest stuff I cut is 3/8"AR500 steel, but it's nice to have the option sometimes.

I'd like to get it repaired, should I send it back to TD or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not in a hurry and probably won't need it until spring at the earliest.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
radicalrescue
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: My TD151 took a dump on me.

Post by radicalrescue »

i would check with ur weld shop an see if they have a shop they use ..i have a td 120 i had to send out cost me 380 bucks ..i would check were the wires hook up from house power ..if u get some thing else keep me in mind my machine torch is leaking at the hoses
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I don't think your machine is 15 years old.. I had one of the very first ones around 2004. That said, I did sell it to my friend a few years ago, and it still is going strong..(right by his Hypertherm 85) I would keep the Thermal dynamics for what you cut ,if it can be fixed reasonable. Might not be worth doing so though. I had the 101,151,A-120, 52, and now a 82 setup to A-60 specs.(SL-100SV torch) I will be selling my Hypertherm 65, because I like the Victor setups a bit better. Not that the Hypertherm is not a great power supply in it's own right.. I like what I get with the victor overall..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Got a bid back to repair my TD151...
Minimum of 910.00 to repair if it's only one thing wrong with it.

I did find out that TD has a trade in program and they will give me up to 1000.00 back towards a new machine though!
If I get a brand new TD82, it will only cost me about 1400.00.

I think I'm going that route.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”