Thermal dynamics cutters?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Thermal dynamics cutters?

Post by tm america »

I have a few customers that have thermal dynamics cutters that they would be interested in using with one of my machines..none of them came with a cnc port or machine torch?I am wondering if they have a cnc port kit or a machine torch for a 75xl ?or a cutmaster 152? is anyone using either of these with their machines and what kind of cut quality are you getting?how about consumable life?Any advice would be much appreaciated i am trying to help these guys out
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thermal dynamics cutters?

Post by BTA Plasma »

Cutmaster 152 will do it and there is an available kit. The 75XL is a high freq plasma cutter so you would be pulling signals off various parts of the power source You could try it but you would have to get creative about shielding and grounding. Thermal Dynamics machines like to run higher off the plate unless your using an Ohmic sensor then they run virtually the same height as others. The outer consumable on a thermal dynamics can run unshielded so higher means you don't need that distance from the shield to the consumable just after the electrode. Just a heads up if you feel like setup is wrong. They are also VERY sensitive to preset air pressure (ie..cut quality). Not fully understanding that is one of the reasons folks sell them so frequently.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/t ... kit-9-8311

This will turn your 152 into a A-120 (without the SL-100 SC machine torch.. You do get the roll bar, and hand torch going that way also..

The One torch is sensitive to using the correct tip for the thickness cut. That is why the 55 amp (50 amps with a 50-55 tip on 3/16 is excellent), and 70 amp nozzles are a real key in getting rid of the funny bevel from cutting with too much amperage. I would always use a shielded ft end, except for the 20, 30 amp and sometimes the 40 amp ones.. The air pressure is a key, and it's in the cutmaster A-120 manual. A quality THC is mandatory for getting the cut quality high.. One last thing,somethings the book will be quite a ways off on cut speed... Don't let it worry you, because it's something you will figure out.. It generally will not as fast as a modern torch from Hypertherm of Esab. Just the way Thermal rates their machines won't really let that happen.. The side benefit is you have many tip amp sizes to cut at reduced speeds, and not beat the crap of the table.. It only took me about 13 years to figure this out, and I actually have a nice respect for the overall design.. Pay attention, and it will do a good job.. The one advantage is there is a lot of cheap factory consumables on E-bay. More then Esab or Hypertherm by a factor of 10.. Awesome there.. I love the Esab PT-37 machine torch, and the Hypertherm Duramax on the 85, but dang the old SL-100 torch can do a very good job in it's own right.. Can't wait tell Esab guys get a hold of it, and come out with some of their ideas....If Colfax lets them... :mrgreen:
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

Thanks guys that is what i am looking for so we will call the 75xl a no go for machine cutting and say the cutmaster 152 is doable but sensitive?I will look into the machine torch but the cnc kit is exactly what we need....
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Sensitive would be a good way to explain the Cutmaster Plasma's on a CNC.. Just remember to get the right tips (Nozzles) for what you are cutting..

Be sure to pick up the SL-100 SV torch, and not the standard SL-100 model torch. You can get both to work, but the built in air valve model is plug, and play. Also cycles a lot faster. I have had both styles too.. I did use a hand torch on cnc with the A-120. Just a test with the SL-40 torch.. It does fire, and work without messing with any trigger wires. So setup with the older non valve torch is certainly possible.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”