Question about Cutmaster 75

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
madddogfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Question about Cutmaster 75

Post by madddogfab »

Im looking at building a CNC table in my fab shop. It will be 5x10 in size and use precisionplasma gantry and cncandc electronics. Im looking to cut up to 3/4" mild steel occasionally but mostly 1/4" and 3/16". I found a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 75 for sale localy and was wondering if it would be a good candidate for this system?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Question about Cutmaster 75

Post by jimcolt »

The Cutmaster75 is an older technology high frequency start plasma cutter. These produce a lot of electrical noise at the beginning of each cut cycle that can cause issues with the computer used on your cnc machine as well as the sensitive electronics. I would suggest asking Tom Caudle at candcnc.com if this is a system that he would suggest. Better choices are the plasma systems that use "blowback" starting technology. If you are looking at the Thermal Dynamics or Victor brand units look for consumable sets that use a start cartridge....the systems that use the start cartridge are blow back, the ones that do not are high frequency start.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
mike 1948
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mike 1948 »

I use a Cutmaster 52 and it works well. It was relatively easy to automate with a $35.00 wire harness that hooks directly to the electronics internally. It gives on/off and OK to move signals. The Voltage is obtained off taps on the pc board. It uses a start cartridge with blow back.

Good Luck
Mike
mike 1948
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mike 1948 »

mike 1948 wrote:I use a Cutmaster 52 and it works well. It was relatively easy to automate with a $35.00 wire harness that hooks directly to the electronics internally. It gives on/off and OK to move signals. The Voltage is obtained off taps on the pc board. It uses a start cartridge with blow back.

Good Luck
Mike
OOPS, but I can't cut 3/4" with it.

Mike

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”