Machine torch wiring question

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
muzzagb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Machine torch wiring question

Post by muzzagb »

Hi,

I am close to completing my plasma table build and I have a question regarding the wiring of the torch trigger.
I am using a Cutmaster 12mm with a SL100 machine torch. It has a control cable connector coming out of the ATC male connector.

I have wired pins 3 and 4 to a solenoid and pin 13 to a common earth in my control cabinet.

When I bridge the solenoid, I get air flow at the torch tip, but no arc. Have I wired this correctly?

I have utilized many posts on this site to help me over a few hurdles during my build and just want to say thanks to all the knowledgeable people that have provided valuable input. Hopefully as I gain more experience, I will be able to share my experiences.

Murray
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Machine torch wiring question

Post by islander261 »

Hi

Which connector are you referencing to?

Pins 3 and 4 on the ATC connector are connected together to fire the torch and pin 8 is chassis ground (safety earth).

On the CPC connector pins 3 and 4 are connected together to fire the torch. I don't know about the rest of the pins.

If you have a CNC connector on the unit (a CPC bulkhead) J2, then pins 3 and 4 are connected together to fire the torch and OK to move signal (ARC OK) is pins 12 and 14 connected together.

John.
muzzagb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by muzzagb »

Thanks for your reply John

Part number for the machine torch assembley:

OTD7/5215 – 7.6m lead ATC – compatible with Cutmaster Machines.

There is a small cable and plug coming out of the the ATC male connector. It is a 14 pin plug with only 3 pins wired. The paperwork that came with the torch states: Pin 3 and 4 for START (I get 24V DC across these pins with a multi-meter), and pin 13 for GROUND.

Hope this helps.

Murray
muzzagb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by muzzagb »

Also, my hand torch has 4 pins in the plug, whereas my machine torch has 7 pins
muzzagb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by muzzagb »

Update.

Last night I decided to strip the heads on the machine and hand torches to try to work out the difference in pin configuration at the plugs. The machine torch plug has 4 pins on the left and three pins on the right, whereas the hand torch plug only has 4 pins on the left. On both plugs the 4 pins on the left are the same. 2 pins for trigger and 2 pins for the shield cup proximity switch. The 3 pins on the right side of the machine torch plug are 1 for earth, and the other 2 are disconnected at the torch head (maybe for an ohmic sensor?????). Once I reassembled both, the machine torch decided to work properly. I think my problem was in the shield cup proximity switch. Although it was screwed on quite tightly, I don't think it was tight enough."

I feel like a bit of a goose for not checking this out first, but as they say, we live and learn. :oops:

My background is more mechanical, so all of this electrical stuff is a bit of a steep learning curve

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”