SL100 Torch

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

SL100 Torch

Post by islander261 »

Hello

I have a question about the different configurations shown in my manual for the SL100 torch. In the manual there is a version SL100SV torch that has an air solenoid on it which I have and a version called a machine torch. The machine torch appears by the parts used to just be a SL100 without the air solenoid. I am assuming that what Victor now calls the 1 Torch is the same as the SL100 machine torch without the solenoid. I have a Thermal Dynamics A-60 that does switch the solenoid in the torch when the torch fires. Can I use a torch that does not have an air solenoid with this power supply? What is the purpose of the solenoid in the SL100SV torch if the power supply doesn't require it?

John
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: SL100 Torch

Post by srp »

I'm no expert. The torch needs to establish an arc in the ionized air stream to establish a flame. When the air pressure is dropped at the torch head(solenoid closes) the cartridge shorts out and when the air pressure is re-established the cartridge breaks contact and the spark created gets the flame going. The solenoid out on the end of the torch has a quicker response than if the air flow was interrupted at the plasma unit. My plasma unit has a high frequency start and does not require this operation.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

If you have a hand torch on your A-60,your question has been answered for you. Yes both torch styles work with the A-series machines. The SL-100-SV will not work on the standard Cutmaster machines, unless the cnc interface is installed. That part was from a tech posting it, but have not tried that one myself. The SV style speeds up the cycle times, and I think makes the cycle times consistent between the first cut, and the second one. Always had a bit different fire time on the valveless version. Some of it was my controller, but I feel there was a difference.. Others had that issue too.. I love the SL-100 SV torch when setup correctly. Thermal compared to Hypertherm/Esab are a bit harder to get the parameters just right, but I have grown to like the torch on my A-120 very well..

The Machine torch without a valve will have two contactor wires on the ATC connection. It will allow you to use that setup with a hand pendant control/etc.....

http://www.airgas.com/p/TDC7-3460
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

Like BrandX says, the solenoid is used on the A-series machines to improve cycle time. You can shave off about 2 seconds per cut when cutting a nested program.
All CUTMASTER and A-series machines can use any of the 1Torch torches. The logic recognizes which torch you have by the voltage supply to the solenoid.
The SLV torch can be used on a CM unit, but there is no connection for a trigger signal. That is why BrandX mentioned the interface kit to upgrade a CM unit to the SLV torch.
The other straight torch model does not have a solenoid on the torch tube, but it does have a pigtail at the quick disconnect where you can connect a hand pendant or some other trigger switch. This model was configured with track burners and simple mechanized motion devices in mind.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”