cut charts is it just me?

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cut charts is it just me?

Post by Corfabrication »

Is it just me, or are the TD cut charts all way out to lunch? Ive tried starting off with baselines on my Cutmaster 82 for the "A" series machines and cant get a reasonable cut, always tons of taper.
As I sneak the torch height down in the .040-.060 area it seems to be better but still not as nice as I am hoping for.
Most of my cutting is 1/4' and under, clean steel. got all the dry air/filter yada yada. work lead always clamped directly on the workpiece. Tried new consumables, 40a machine nozzle, 60a nozzle, doesnt seem to make much difference.
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cut charts is it just me?

Post by m79b01 »

TD
Enough said. Not looking to offend but I started there too and since I upgraded to the HT PM I have never looked back.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Am I chasing my tail?
The sad truth is I've contemplated hooking up my pm 30 just to see how it does in comparison. Really hoping to turn a few dollars before I spend any more on this setup.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Try the 50-55 amp nozzles..(Shielded) I get very nice cuts. Get the height back where it belongs too.. 60 amps is just too much below .250.. (IMO) run about 80 psi, and 125 volts on 3/16..I personally would not run the 40 amp ones over .120..MS
I would be temped to buy a SL-40 and use it on thin stuff, other then using a Standard PM-30. It seems to cut with less bevel then a Hypetherm 30. (using by hand and not comparing it to the 30 XP model) I say plug away and match the tips to the exact materiel thickness being cut.. I have never found running a Thermal torch at Hypertherm standoff' distances made for less bevel.
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

The issue is more likely to be that the current control is not dead accurate (potentiometer on a silkscreen scale). It could be that you are not really getting the current you think you asked for. Try setting the current on the control knob about 10% high.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

I actually was running it at 40 amps,monitored on mach. And yeah, 40 on the knob was about 43 or so running.
I have been playing with 60 amp settings and they are much closer to the TD cut charts. I will just leave it turned up for everything heavier than 11g.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Corfabrication wrote: I will just leave it turned up for everything heavier than 11g.
There is a lot less bevel with the 50-55 amp tips(over 10 ga, and even past 3/16 )Not that the 60 amp one can't cut fine, just less top edge rounding.(IMO) Consumable life is very good on both.. I had a 101/151/and now a A-120.. Also have a Esab 1600 that is super sweet with it's 30/40 amp consumables..(really all of the amp ranges) It's charts are generally right on the # like Hypertherm. I have always had to work a little harder to get a Thermal to do what I want it to do. I am ok with that, because the machines have been super reliable in the CNC setup.. They also seem to respond well to very clean/dry air.
stompjrkz400
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by stompjrkz400 »

what is the benefit to the shielded setup, im new to my TD 82 and i noticed the same problems. i just bulk ordered 40amp unsheilded tips. i was under the impression shielded was for drag cutting, please school me
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

One of the challenges of cutting with a thermal dynamics air cooled on a CNC is that the air pressure plays a critical part. You need to understand how to set air pressure for different materials and amperages. You can get great cuts but a thermal dynamics plasma cutter is like the steering wheel of an F1 car with paddle shift and auxiliary toggle switches where a hypertherm is like the steering wheel of a sedan with cruise control on the dash. Just turning the amperage down, installing the correct consumables is not enough you need to reset your air pressure as well and follow book charts. Too many people throw the brand under the bus because it takes more time to set up. True that more folks like the hypertherm for ease of use but if you already have a TD A series you just need to know how to tweak it in.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

One thing,, I never really liked the 40 amp consumables all that much, They have their place.. Both styles work, 9-8207/9-8208 Just the shielded ones will last longer in general.

Don't need a A series to get good cuts.. Just add the 9-8311 automation interface to a standard cutmaster, and you get one heck of a price cut buying the SL-100 SV torch separate.. It makes a standard cutmaster a A series with a roll-bar..

I just bought a 65 Hypertherm, because I wanted the extra warranty over my Cutmaster.. I had the cutmaster so long that I can get it to do about anything I need.. I do feel you get a bit more dross cutting for least bevel on the cutmaster.. More in how the torch works then anything..Cuts very high off the plate.. Like anything that can be a advantage too.

Air pressure is a huge key on the cutmaster/ with the Powermax it's all auto.. Love the simple line purge on the cutmaster. I might want to blow my torch out, before cutting, and would rather not get into programming to do it.. Sometimes machines are too smart for their own good.. (IMO)

I kept my Machine torch,and small hand torch, because I will probably buy a Cutmaster 52 down the road. If my other machine goes down for any reason. I could put it on my table, and cut quality parts with it.

Hypertherm takes some tweaking too. It's not perfect in that every factory parameter turns into perfect parts..Still fight the same issues, just moved around somewhat. Same with my Esab 1600. Kind of a cross between both machines (IMO) Funny it cuts exactly half way between the other two on cut height.. I like them all for different reasons..
gsi
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by gsi »

The cut charts are way to fast. Turning down to about 60% of recommended speed seems to be where the best edge quality lies. You pay for it in dross around holes and corners but I'd rather it take a minute more to clean up than deal with excessive edge taper.

I cut a bunch of parts using my A80 today in 3/16 plate. My cut setting were 45 ipm, 111 arc voltage, .18 pierce height, 65% slowdown for corners, 0.4 pierce delay, 40A consumables w/75 psi. The parts had minimal dross and very good edge quality.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I never needed a delay with my setup on that thickness.. The cut chart can vary between machine manuals. Even though a A-40 cuts the same speed etc as a A-120 within it's amp range. In the standard cutmaster 52 manual under shielded machine cutting, it will have 30 ipm @40 amps 3/16 MS.. Looks correct for me.. .I think 121 volts. I cut it at 27ipm 35 amps, excellent cuts. same 75 psi. standard mach setting for corner speeds..The lower amps really shines on .120 ms.. Looks laser cut, and probably nicer then I can get out of my Hypertherm 65 at this point in time.. Not cut speed wise, overall cut quality.. Both or very good though.. I use to hate the 40 amp stuff, and now I like it after 13 years.. Tough units to figure, but great once you do..

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”