SL60 torch conector

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

SL60 torch conector

Post by Corfabrication »

anyone know how to take apart the connector from the torch so I can route it through the cable tracking on the table?
cutmaster 82 with a hand torch,if it matters.
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: SL60 torch conector

Post by mlinehan »

The connector housing can be removed, but you will still have a large piece that cannot be removed. There are 4 screws that hold the 2 shell halves together. Better to take the handle off and easier to get back on when you are done. Your track does not have gates you can open?
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Thanks. Surely wasn't thinking about unsnapping the tracking.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Sorry about the hijack, but wanted to ask Mike a question or too.. I could start another thread, but at least it's about a cutmaster.. I ordered a cutmaster 42 to go with my A-120, and Esab 1600.. (All owned by Colfax) Anyway, how long has the 9-0094 tips been available? I used a Radnor torch with the 20 amp tips, and the 40 amp drag tips that came with that machine. Guess they would be like the 9-0093 tips that come with the standard SL-40 torch? With clean air, and my home built standoff made from a older Thermal dynamics standoff, the consumable is life great. Much better then the Drag tips.. Clean/low bevel cuts. Pretty fast on 5/8 MS. Not A-120 fast, but pretty good.. The other tip are the 20-35 amp ones, and those were always great on thin SS.. something like 6-8 thousands kerf without trying.Most people think those are 20 amp tips only, and they can be turned up (27 amps) for best performance on 120 volt input. 26 thousand orifice makes for some pretty restricted arc column. I am super happy with that machine, and It gets kicked around pretty good by people that have not setup the machine correctly. It's as nice of a machine as anything built in it's range,Great deal too..I am really liking the SL-40 torch..

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

Thanks for the question.

There are 3 tips available for the SL40, all of which were available at the initial launch of CM 42.
The Radnor version of the torch, the MC 40, has equivalent parts.

TDC Radnor
9-0091 20A drag tip 64006532
9-0093 40A drag tip 64006533
9-0094 40A stand-off tip 64006534

There is also a 2 legged stand-off guide that is not listed, 9-0090, works with both SL and MC torches. While the torch is meant to be used with tip in contact with the metal, some people prefer the guide. Your comment about using the torch at 27 amps is absolutely correct, best to use the 20 amp tip.

The difference between 40A drag and stand-off tips is in the front end geometry. You can see it easily if you do a side by side comparison. I would expect that you do get better performance from the 9-0094 in a CNC application. The difference is also there in hand cutting, but you have to be a real expert to see the difference.

SL40 works great on the larger machines, but of course you can overpower the tip if you don't turn the current down. Likewise the SL 60 works great on the CM 42, as long as you use the correct tip. The small size of the SL 40 is the main reason people like it. There is some trade-off in terms of parts life, simply because the tip and electrode have less mass.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Mike,
thanks for the info.. I was going to buy just the SL-40 torch for the A-120, but got such a nice deal on the 42 that I bought it too.. I have used most of the other brand small cutters, and the 42 a great unit all by itself. Fits nice on my little cart too.... I can see where a SL-60 would be a match on a 42, if you are doing a lot of drag cutting on .250 and above. Nice options on the SL-60.. I will post a pic of my home built standoff. Old three leg model..Like it though..

The A-120 with a SL-40 torch setup with 20-35 amp nozzles has some merit for some of the smallest kerf's you will see anywhere! I've been trying to get something like this for very fine artwork. I would love to see some Hypertherm finecuts on this .045 SS Maybe a Hypertherm 85 turned down to 25 amps, and fine cuts installed.. :lol: This is what I ended up with the 30 amp bottom end of the Victor.. look at the dial, and it's flat out impressive. (IMO)I think my A-120 dials down more then 30 amps, but just a guess?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”