Considering buying a Cutmaster 42

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Considering buying a Cutmaster 42

Post by chasxjs »

I am looking to replace the plasma cutter on my table and have run across a Cutmaster 42 that I can purchase for $600.00. I mainly work with 1/4" and under cr steel. I was originally looking into more powerful units however the price is making me take a closer look at this one. Anyone have any experience using the 42 on a CNC table? What are your thoughts? (pros and cons)
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Considering buying a Cutmaster 42

Post by mlinehan »

If price is your main criteria, that sounds like a good deal. I think you will quickly want more power, however. Also, the CM 42 will come with a hand torch and that can be a disadvantage. It will do a good job on 1/4 inch and below, especially if you have 230 VAC.
mike 1948
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mike 1948 »

chasxjs wrote:I am looking to replace the plasma cutter on my table and have run across a Cutmaster 42 that I can purchase for $600.00. I mainly work with 1/4" and under cr steel. I was originally looking into more powerful units however the price is making me take a closer look at this one. Anyone have any experience using the 42 on a CNC table? What are your thoughts? (pros and cons)
I would check with Victor to see what's involved in getting the 42 to output, ON/OFF, Arc OK, and Voltage signals to a CNC machine. It may/will take wiring experience. You need these to automate the torch.
The "52" is very easy to do with a $35.00 pigtail that plugs into the PCB board on the torch. Then you can use the hand torch in a mechanized or manual mode. It also gives increased cutting capacity.

Mike
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

Thanks for the replies.
Price is not my main consideration. However of course, it is always a consideration and is the only reason I'm even taking a second look at this unit.
I have also been looking into the Cutmaster 52 and the Powermaster 45. But, with a potential savings of a thousand dollars I just had to investigate this further.
I did notice in another post ( http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14158 )that mlinehan mentioned that the adapter kit would work on a Cutmaster 42. However when I downloaded the instructions for it, they do not mention the 42 at all. So, I'm not sure if it would fit or not.
I also see several people stating that the Cutmaster seems to go through consumables extremely fast. Is this a common issue and if so, is it limited to certain models or the whole Cutmaster series?
Thanks again for the help.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Buy a Hypertherm and forget about it. Cut is awesome and the time you will save on dross removal and disks and damaged material over the next 7-10 years will more than cover the additional bucks.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
mlinehan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mlinehan »

The adapter kit 7-3474 will work with the CM 42 torch. It is a pigtail which installs into the quick disconnect and gives you pins for the start signal. It involves splicing into the trigger wires.

The CM 42 does burn tips and electrodes faster than a larger torch would, Like the SL 100 on the CM 52. The reason is simply that the torch is smaller, less copper in the consumable parts. The advantage to that torch is the smaller size, but there certainly is a trade-off.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I am sure the 20 amp tips in the Cutmaster will give you a awesome small kerf cut. It was a much better overall cut then a Hypertherm 3,0 when I used them side by side on thin materiel .Less bevel on thicker stuff too. The new 30 XP should match it, and really exceed it in consumable life. There are nice things about the Cutmaster 42 and because it's not a Hypertherm should not stop you from buying it. The consumable life is really pretty good on a standard Cutmaster, if you use shielded parts, and very clean air..I am finding 60 amp tips are excellent overall, and even the 120 amps tips seem to last pretty well too. The worst thing about the one torch in general is getting the parameters right to control bevel. Probably less of a issue with the smaller Cutmaster then some of the larger models.. By the way.. To be able to use a SL-40 torch on any Cutmaster, is a option that flat blows away anything Hypertherm can come up with. I know every torch Hypertherm designs is for each machine for best performance. Leaves you using a club for detail work on a larger machine. Just a great option for Victor.. I am buying two hand torches for that very option. Cheaper then buying two machines to get a small torch..
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Brand X wrote:By the way.. To be able to use a SL-40 torch on any Cutmaster, is a option that flat blows away anything Hypertherm can come up with. I know every torch Hypertherm designs is for each machine for best performance. Leaves you using a club for detail work on a larger machine. Just a great option for Victor.. I am buying two hand torches for that very option. Cheaper then buying two machines to get a small torch..
Are you taking into account the Fine Cut consumables for use with the Powermax 65/85/105, or the 30A consumables on the PM45? They all can cut thin materials very well.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The only match would be the New 30XP and it's fine cuts . I am talking about the size of the SL-40 torch, amp 20 amp nozzles. I prefer on my machines to have a 20 amp nozzle designed to cut at 20 amps. I use that with my 90 amp esab, and it keeps the kerf small/dross to about zero, and speed down to them Min. I prefer a .028 or smaller orifice when cutting at low amps. Not some big nozzle with the amps turned down. Now if he wanted to get a 30XP for the same features I feel are important, then have at it. It will flat blow the other Hypertherm consumables away on thin metal.It will cut with a realy small kerf. Look at the best quality books speeds for the fine cuts on .035 MS. Might find the best kerf, and quality is ran at speeds over what the test machine will put out.. That is where the Cutmaster 42 will shine. Edge quality is excellent on that thin stuff.
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

Still not sure which way to go. But you gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate the input. Thank you!
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
mike 1948
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mike 1948 »

mlinehan wrote:The adapter kit 7-3474 will work with the CM 42 torch. It is a pigtail which installs into the quick disconnect and gives you pins for the start signal. It involves splicing into the trigger wires.

The CM 42 does burn tips and electrodes faster than a larger torch would, Like the SL 100 on the CM 52. The reason is simply that the torch is smaller, less copper in the consumable parts. The advantage to that torch is the smaller size, but there certainly is a trade-off.
Looking at the instructions for that adapter kit you get only remote on/off. You do not get a "ok to move" signal or voltage feedback for THC. Also you have to remove the adapter if you want to use the torch manually. That is if I understand the instructions correctly.
With my "52" I can use the torch manually just by removing it from the torch holder and pulling the trigger. No spliced wires hanging around. The $35.00 pig tail CNC connector is attached to the PCB board. Then you wire in a plug for a cable to attach to you machine controller. I would recommend the 52.
Last edited by mike 1948 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
chasxjs

Post by chasxjs »

Well I determined I would need more power than the 42 could supply.
So, after reviewing everything on this as site as well as others and comparing prices and specs from several different sites, I returned back to the original two units I had been considering.
Total price for power supply and both types of torches for the Cutmaster 52 vs Powermax 45 if you shop around is between 100-200 dollars apart. The final decision would have been easier for me if the Powermax was available with the fine cut consumables. But unfortunately it is not.The deciding factor for me was the comments I read about the consumable life of each.
I took the plunge and ordered a Powermax 45 with a hand torch on sale from one supplier and I then purchased the machine torch from another.
Time will tell if I made the right choice.
Thanks again for all the input.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

My opinion, you did make the right choice. I love my PM45. 8-)

You can use the Powermax 30 consumables, that's as similar to the Fine Cut stuff as you'll get for the 45. I have them in my parts box, but almost never use them....just the normal 45A consumables work for just about everything I do.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”